First Thread

Thread: First Thread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default First Thread

Hi All,
    I am new here. I am trying to build a small CNC milling machine for my home workshop. My Workshop is not a professional one. I made it just for personal interest. I hope everybody will be helpful to me
    Thanks

Shaikat Raihan
    Gazipur, Bangladesh

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First Thread

1.....How much do you want to spend?
    2.....How big a part do you want to machine?
    3.....What material do you want to machine?
    4.....Do you want to build a CNC mill or a CNC router?
    5.....Do you have any metal working knowledge an/or machinery to build one with?
    6.....Do you have any CNC knowledge?
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    5.....Do you have any metal working knowledge an/or machinery to build one with?
    Ian.

Dear Concern,

Good day,
    Thank you for your kind response. You had some query. Please see the following answer.
    ## Around 500 USD
    ## Very Small, It may 150mm*150mm
    ## I want to work on Wood
    ## It is CNC router
    ## Yes I am working for a Company as a Maintenance Engineer. Our company manufacture Mold and Die. I look after all the CNC type machine.
    ## I have some basic training on CNC machine from HAAS Automation Inc. USA, CHMER EDM, Taiwan, YCM, Taiwan, DMG Mori, Germany etc

Actually I am very poor at G-Code and Part Design. Almost I have no knowledge on CAD design and CAM. I already made a outline of a Table Top CNC router and also collect some parts from Banggoods, (China) Sparkfun, USA and Techshopebd, Bangladesh. I hope, I can complete my machine within next couple of week.

I have some simple test file to run the machine first time. But till I need some nice wood works G-code. My tool Dia is 2 mm and work area is up to 80mm*80mm.
    Can you help me on this tropic ?

Advance thanks

Shaikat Raihan
    Gazipur, Bangladesh

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Shai....... as the tolerances for wood are not all that tight compared to metal, I think you could profit by buying a 3020 CNC router on EBAY........it would come ready to roll and works with Mach 3. and is very compact.

The spindle power at 300 to 400 watts is quite modest but with a 2mm cutter would not be over working it.

You can also get that model with a 4th axis for a bit more money, but those model 4th's are not all that strong, but for wood could be quite adequate.

That model is quite small and you might outgrow it with ambition once you start getting to know it.....in that case perhaps the 3040 model would be more applicable, especially if you intend to use it for saleable items.

Vectric Pro is a carving program that everyone raves about as it has a vast library of designs for you to peruse.

I did suggest buying one, as to make one similar to the 3020 or 3040 would actually cost you a lot more, and you can be up and running pretty quick compared to the designing, build time and part sourcing for a DIY similar model.

G code knowledge is also good to have, but not 100% essential, as many people run with a bought program or use a CAD/CAM program like Fusion 360 that is free if you want to use it purely for hobby use.....it's not all that difficult to become proficient if your needs slant in the direction of self designing.

However, as you have started with a design and have some parts, you will have to make the decision whether or not to temporary put it aside and buy one in, and if it proves to be inadequate.....copy the design and go on from there.
    Ian.