cnc controller help

Thread: cnc controller help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cnc controller help

Hi,

I recently acquired an older laser cutter that has not been in use for a number of years.
    I am looking to use the table as a plasma cutter and am looking for some help/information to get table up and running as I'm not all that familiar/ experienced with cnc controllers.

It has 3x 140VDC SEM servo motors on it (one for each axis).
    Motor specs are -
    continuous stall torque 4.5nm 8.3 amps
    2500 rpm 140 volt 47 amps.

My question is, can I buy controller components (power supply, breakout board and motor drivers) that run on 240 volt AC? ( 3 phase power not available )

Or am I better off removing existing servo motors and buy a plug and run system.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Shane

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cnc controller help

That is a nice system if you have the original electrical cabinet. The original servo drives want a +/- 10 VDC command signal. Retrofitting a more modern control system should not be a big problem. I think Mesa and Dynomotion Kanalog controller would work.

It should be able to be wired for 240 AC, single phase

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    That is a nice system if you have the original electrical cabinet. The original servo drives want a +/- 10 VDC command signal. Retrofitting a more modern control system should not be a big problem. I think Mesa and Dynomotion Kanalog controller would work.

It should be able to be wired for 240 AC, single phase

Thanks for the reply Jim

I do have the original electrical cabinet, laser,cooler and everything else required to make it work.
    It is that old it has 3.25" floppy drive mounted in control cabinet.

Do you think I could use components in electrical cabinet or just start with new stuff? ( All original components are 3 phase supply in)

Cheers
    Shane

Downloads
    Uploads

When I start a project like this I normally try to reuse anything that I can. I would find it a bit odd if the servo motor supply was 3 phase, but not unheard of. If there are not 3 legs going to the servo power transformer primary then it is single phase. I would expect in a large laser that there would be a lot of heavy 3 phase components, but proabaly not needed to run the CNC control systems.

Just as an example, I converted my 3 phase router to single phase in a couple of hours. Most of the panel was actually single phase, only the spindle motor and the vacuum pump were 3 phase. I swapped out the spindle motor for a single phase unit, and used the spindle VFD to run the vacuum pump on single phase.

Downloads
    Uploads

As Jim said you may be able to use much of the system, servo's etc, as most likely the controller and the servo's even were stepped down and used 1ph transformer etc to control, if you have the original drawings, these will certainly help in deciding what you can re-use and convert to 1ph.
    What was the 3ph voltage supply, 415v or 360v?
    I assume you have a plasma system or one in mind that you can use on 1ph?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.