Help Needed - What type of machine do I need?

Thread: Help Needed - What type of machine do I need?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Help Needed - What type of machine do I need?

I am brand new to CNC’s. I would like some insight on what all would I need to buy to start using a CNC machine to make smaller production runs (less than 1000pcs) of Hex nuts, and Bolts.
    Say Diameters ranging 1/4” up to 2”? The material ranges from low carbon steel, stainless steel, to even high nickel alloys (Hastelloy).

What type of machine would I need?

Also, being that I do not know how to code, I’m assuming a CAD/CAM software would be needed? Any suggestions on that as well?

Are there fasteners libraries that already exist so we wouldn’t have to start every project from scratch?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help Needed - What type of machine do I need?

Help me understand that you wish to machine bolts and nuts, fasteners? for the nuke business? hastelloy? Stainless ? What's the budget for thread mills, hobs and tooling? and correct production machines? Shop to do it all in. Contracts in place? No problem to do this. Isn't there shops in production to emulate?

Been doing this too long

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most of what we cater to is oil & gas type fasteners for flanging pipe together. I was hoping that a $50k budget could get us started in this enough where if we needed to make a standard rush job. For example, 80pcs of 1-1/8 - 8thd/inch x 5-1/4" hex cap screws (with nuts) in 316 stainless steel.
    Another purpose we could use the cnc machine for is to produce tooling for our upset forging unit... .

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you need a screw machine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...#Screw_machine with a bar feeder. Here's some discussion of how to pick the right feeder: Choosing The Right Bar Feeder : Modern Machine Shop If you need high precision over a long screw, then a Swiss-style machine, which supports the workpiece close to the cut, is probably best. I'm not sure you can get a new European-made one for $50k, but a used or Chinese one would probably be possible.

But can't you just buy those screws off the shelf from a place like this: http://www.newmanassoc.com/wp-conten...od_297-323.pdf ? It's hard to believe it's really going to be profitable to make them yourself.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]