Darth Veger

Thread: Darth Veger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Darth Veger

Blessings,

I am the Precision Machining Instructor at Century Career Center in Logansport, Indiana. I am always looking for new and innovative projects for my students that they can make and put in their tool boxes.

Looking forward to seeing all the neat ideas and techniques I'll find on this website.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Darth Veger

How long is the course?
    I have good results in short terms if they first make something of the students choice,
    If they have an interest and can develop passion to see a creation become real.
    Guitars, skateboards, boats, rC car parts, robot parts
    We did surfboards in 8th grade wood shop.
    I never really got out of shop in my career.

Been doing this too long

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response! I liked those kinds of items too when I taught middle school.

I'm in a career center and the curriculum is also dual credited through a community college. Therefore, I have to meet specific skill sets so these student can earn NIMS Certifications along with the college credits.

OOPS, My courses are a vear long for 9th through 12th. 9th graders only get one hour per day while the 10-12th graders have a two hour class.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you developed the specific cirrcula yet?
    High School Geometry and shop classes are prereq's

I taught this in industry, 40 hours cad, 40 for cam
    They already had B.S degrees .........
    I use to hook them into this career with future $$ dreams.
    Now they are early tretiring at 150k / yr
    I teach it so they can do Anycad and Anycam because of the proliferation of CAD CAM systems.
    Not a specific system since they are all similar.

Here is the old testament, not quite in Latin pre PC's
    APT360 Programmers Manual
    we had 240 hours training on APT before making real parts.
    The basics can be taught without a computer on the chalkboard (last century old school)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea, curriculum is pretty well set.
    There isn't any prerequisites for the class. Sometimes I even get students that wanted another class in the career center but it was full.

Being part of the public school system, finances are always a challenge when needing new equipment and supplies. I couple of grants enabled us to purchase a few Haas machines and a Mitsubishi Wire EDM so the past 4 years has gotten better.

My first year the shop had 24 manual machines and 1 CNC with only 9 of them working. NOW, there is over 30 machines (2 cnc lathes, 2 cnc mills, wire edm) a spring maker, a plastic injection machine and the only things that are not in service are the spring maker (new mother board waiting for install) and getting the plastic injection machine hooked up and running.

We just returned from a tour of LMC here in Logansport. They make many of the work holding chucks for the tire/rim industry and the hydraulic chucks for Haas. Along with many other work holding devises. Looking for that extra motivation for these kids to learn, work hard, and succeed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm looking for plans for a spring loaded engraving tool to use in my cnc mill.

I like for the students to experience using the cnc mill by engraving their names on the projects.

Not only the cnc experience, but it cuts down on theft and grading the SAME PROJECT multiple times.