Smithy 1324 I-Max Upgrade 2 CnC

Thread: Smithy 1324 I-Max Upgrade 2 CnC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smithy 1324 I-Max Upgrade 2 CnC

Hell-oh... I Recently bought a Smithy Granite 1324 I-Max... And I've got a couple of Questions with nobody to ask - Except - You ('s) - Top Icons of the Machining Industry & HomeFront as well. I thank you in advance... Anyway - I'm into Smithy now for about $4,600. It's far from what I want. Without breaking the bank at the same time doing it right - What now (08/2017) is the best CNC Controlling Unit that I can put on this thing? Franco from YouTube says SERVO is the way to go. In addition Warren Ryner mentions DIGITAL Power Controller / Driver? Also - Good Franco mentions that most Motion Controller Boards do not include backlash control Ecxept for one - The Integra Hi Tech MCB. Which is fine for a Stepper Motor System But - If you want to Control Backlash with a Servo System it requires a $600 dollar upgrade! Ah - Yer Killin Me. This is a lot for someone like Myself who is a New Machine Owner. Any GooD Suggestions? Out...

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smithy 1324 I-Max Upgrade 2 CnC

I'm in the same boat as you. Purchased a 1324 Max. Came preinstalled with the factory installed DRO (Sino brand). I am currently in the process of converting to CNC. I ordered a Geckodrive GS-540 for $299, a three pack of Nema 24 steppers for $130, and a 600w power supply for $80. I'm being lazy and ordering premade brackets for the steppers, so all I have to do is design and build the adapter plate that joins it to the Smithy. I am going direct drive, so I ordered three couplers (with a urethane insert for slop) that I will be connecting to the hand wheel side. Steppers are double post, so I will have the ability to go manual by adding the hand wheel on the other post. The exception is the Y-axis, where the stepper is mounted on the back side of the table. I will still be using the factory hand wheel.

Question on the steppers. The guy at smithy told me they were using 439oz. Steppers, so I ordered the NEMA 24s, since they are rated for the same. However, when I got them they seemed kind of small. Heavy, but small. Purpose for small size was because I didn't want the Y stepper sticking above the work table. I did some more research and everyone out there seems to be using NEMA 34s in their various combo mills. I've also read a few posts where it's not necessary to go overkill. So that's my dilemma. Should I return the 24s and get 34s or leave original plan well enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Forza308; What a pain in the ass. . . I too ordered the Brackets from Smithy - they are not Direct Drive. Each come with a gearbelt type pulley which seems pretty tight. I went with the Wantai NEMA34 1600 oz Dual Shaft ($400-) - Very Heavy Duty. When you buy the Smithy Brackets ($550-) they say that they are for NEMA34s. Although their shafts are TOO beefy for the holes... Truth is I hav'nt taken a good look at it yet but it seems as if there will be a lot of Modification goin on. Smithy (Detroit-Machine-Tools) accompanies brackets with No Plan, No Schematic, No Picture - No Nuthin. I called Smithy to try and get some paper on them - With like maybe a picture? They told me that they got a guy that has got a Vague Idea. - And - You might be able to talk to him. But - The good news is for You and that is to check out Marty'sCNCGarage on YouTube where he Shows us how to Retrofit any Machine using CENTROID Acorn Motion Control Board - And this is like BranNew Tech and a Plus for US Smithy Owners is that it features BackLash ConTrol & Wear Compensation in the Software. It's only $269- It's Made in USA. I hav'nt used it yet but I have High Hopes for it & it should be in my mailbox soon . . . Big Smile, Big Smile. Too much Great stuff to list here - CENTROID also has a bunch of installation Vids. - All which have been Updated within the last 3 or 4 days. Check it out. I'm in Florida. Get my #. 1ljr111@gmail.com We MUST K.I.T. PS - The Breakout Board that come with the 3 axis kit should hook up to the Acorn Board. I hope it is not too late for You & I hope this helps You... Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

I must also have some help getting the PowerFeed to function. It seems to me that this one on this Machine is broken. Perhaps I am overlooking something. Until I get some instruction from somebody who has done it before - I can't Slam Smithy...... But Yea - I read the AD again for the Smithy 1324 Granite I-Max CNC Conversion Brackets from Smithy.com and they are for Nema34 Stepper Motors although it doesn't specify the size NEMA34.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your tips, Saner. Unfortunately all my stuff came in today, except for the 600w power supply. That's coming from China and it should be here in 2 weeks. So, that said, I'm going to make the Geckodrive work with the Nema 24 steppers. When I talked to the guy at Smithy, he said that the company they use to outfit from the factory, Flashcut CNC, uses 439oz. steppers so that's what I ordered. I didn't factor that with a pulley you can get much more torque due to mechanical advantage. Oh well, I will install the whole thing and see what happens. At leas it seems on paper that it will spin the lead screws faster so moving around without engaging the bit should be faster. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

As far as software, I bought a student copy of Solidworks and Mach4 to control it. Quite frankly, I feel like I'm drinking from a firehose with all the instructional videos, but I will take it one step at a time.

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it comin' cause I need it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Forzo308, O.K. Congrats. You must be Psyched. I Guess You can get Everything set-up Although You'll need the Power Supply before You can REALLY get things moving. Friggin' China. You'll find that under the description of "Slow Boat From" WoW ! - SolidWorks... Fancy That. . . Actually - Seeing a FireArm 3d Drawing with AniMation in SolidWorks made me Very Curious. Then I saw the price for the Program! YowSah... I've since found the Fusion 360 and for me it seems Cheaper and more Universal. I'm at the 1% to 5% Knowledge Le bvel. By the end of nex week in the 6 to 10 Range. There is a knock at my door. . . UPS delivery of My Centroid, ACORN Motion Control Board. Big Smile, BIG SMILE... Cheers, LJR-III P.S. Marty from Marty'sCNCgarage.com or on YouTube Used to Use the Gecko MCB and He's got some install vids. 3868714294's my# OUT LJR...