What happend to the world - why can't people call something what it is??? (Rant) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happend to the world - why can't people call something what it is??? (Rant)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What happend to the world - why can't people call something what it is??? (Rant)

I don't think that there is any right or wrong when it comes to bridge mill vs fixed or moving gantry mill . Google both and the results are evident . Throw fixed or moving into it then more hobby stuff comes up , but thats probably because it's often talked about in hobby communities . Personally I've always said fixed or moving gantry , if it's fixed it doesn't move (within the properly used term ) . A lot of the Chinese stuff is refereed to as fixed beam .

Nothing wrong with someone a posting a rant , these things can be productive if the op isn't finger pointing at someone else , or if others don't take something so simple to a personal level .
    I never heard the term sketch recipe , but now I know what it is and what the term is used for , and it sounds like some people have used a term from one field applied it to another. Maybe one of those people will read this thread and learn that it is not a term used in cnc

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What happend to the world - why can't people call something what it is??? (Rant)

To me a sketch is a quick capture of an idea. Not the project itself, but in cartooning, is often overlaid and inked for a finished drawing. Sketchup is about the only thing I see that could be related to cnc machines. Is what it produces called a sketch? I don't know. Don't use it.
    Now recipe that is cnc related has to do with formulas for cutting. I have heard the term "cut recipe."
    Then there is the CNC cookbook.

I built a router with a moving gantry that I sometime referred to as a bridge style gantry. It more resembled an overhead crane. Moving gantry. The Z axis was set between two outer rails or tracks. I didn't call it such to be something new, but to differentiate it and the typical over under rail arrangement with the Z axis hung off the side.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

OK. I have a gravity compensated SX3 cnc mill, that can maintain 2 microns repeatability in the Z axis!!
    I have the 4th axis programmed to lower weights (rings) ONTO the head to cancel the Z load which bends the column.
    250 grams = 1.5 microns, using a 10mm carbide (ok rename it if you must) end mill (slot drill ??) machining stainless steel/fiberglass laminate (Metal PCB - doh!).
    A new cutter load is 200 grams. Worn it is 2.5KG.
    Doing a 12mm wide cut, the vertical load, full width is much greater than on the return pass, cutting only 2mm wide.
    89000 items later (and a few years back now), it is still accurate, but every 25-50 hours the gibbs needed dressing.
    The weight lowering mechanism is an old 15" dot matrix printer carriage screwed to the roof and a pulley system with steel cable.

Continue the rants! I this a gravity compensated cutting system?

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    OK.
    The weight lowering mechanism is an old 15" dot matrix printer carriage screwed to the roof and a pulley system with steel cable.

this a gravity compensated cutting system?[/B][/I]
    Where I come from it would be called an abortion , term used for oddball modified mechanics

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

A well paid abortion, I might add. Machine paid for itself once per week, every week

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Downloads
    Uploads

hope you understood the pun in it
    the term doesn't mean no good / not working . Common phrase is "it's a complete ...ing abortion but it works " sometimes followed by great or better than before or just ends with works

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like someone hasn't read Don Quixote....

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose it could be called a contraption, but if it works ....so what......the head nod syndrome is a real problem that needs to be cured.

If I was faced with that problem I think I'd rip the head off and fit linear rails, but the real solution is you should have bought a mill that was into linear rails in the first place...... just where would you draw the line as so many other aspects that need addressing are there too.

BTW.....I'm of the opinion that a sketch is a free hand non scaled representation of an idea that is wandering around in the back of your mind so that you can get a quick visualisation without having to resort to formal drawing methods.

On the other hand, painting a thumbnail sketch is one way to illuminate the big picture in a few words without going into elaboration.
    Ian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12