Has anyone tried using Balsawood?

Thread: Has anyone tried using Balsawood?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Has anyone tried using Balsawood?

I need to make plug that will be used for a R/C Airplane and I thought I might make it out of Balsawood if the Balsa doesn't crumble or chip from the router bit.

I thought about foam but I'm so new I know NOTHING about foam...except how many different types there are.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Has anyone tried using Balsawood?

Balsa wouldn't be my choice for a project like that. First off, it's expensive, and second it's extremely stringy. The material cuts raggedly, shearing off large splinters with every pass. It's good for model glider wings, since it's strong for its weight, but it machines poorly. Foam would be a better choice for your plug, since it doesn't have a grain structure. But it's messy to work with, and the dust clings to everything. If you're using polyester resin, a styrene based foam will need to be well-protected from it, since it will dissolve on contact. But that's the kind of foam you can cut with a hot wire, which allows you to remove the bulk of the material first. You can't do that with urethane foam, which otherwise cuts more smoothly, since the fumes are extremely toxic. But the urethane would be more resistant to the polyester. Epoxy resins are more compatible with foams in general.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Has anyone tried using Balsawood?

I was afraid of that happening with Balsa. I have built model airplanes for 20+ years and that's why I was familiar with it.

How about Basswood? Have you ever CNC'ed that? BTW, Balsa & Basswood are really pretty cheap...depending on the size needed.

Are they're any plastics that I should consider?

National Balsa Wood Co- Balsa wood, Basswood, Mahogany, Architectural Models, Model RC Aircraft, Savox Servos