Aluminum Type !!!???

Thread: Aluminum Type !!!???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aluminum Type !!!???

Hallo Guys,
    i'm really tiered.. searching and searching ..and asking here and there ..

so i'm Building my CNC and my working Area in 500X800mm.
    and now i want to buy the Aluminum for the 2 sieds, front, back and stepmotor Mounts ..
    i've a friend he own a CNC and he will help me build mein and mill the aluminum

i have a Problem that i found alot of Aluminum types and don't know wich one of them to choese.

2017A or 7057 or 5754
    wich one should i buy to build my CNC??

thanx and i hope that i'll gone find my answer here..

Ram

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Aluminum Type !!!???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dillonfitz View Post

U sure .. i called 2 alu company and both gived me different alu typs and now u giving me the third ..

Downloads
    Uploads

6061 and 6063 is your normal aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends on if just flat plates or are you putting bends in it. Flat plates, really whatever you can find, here 6061 is the norm.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

It'll come down to a compromise between cost, strength and machineability.

2000 and 5000 series stuff is cheap but soft and sticky. A bit like the difference between using a bread knife to cut cheddar vs brie, one the tool cuts and comes out clean, the other it just makes a mess of everything. And not particularly strong, either. 7075 has something like twice the tensile strength and elasticity (springiness) of 6061 and machines beautifully but it's a lot more pricey. 6061 machines well and is a lot cheaper than 7075, so it's what most people use by default unless they need the extra toughness of 7075. 6063 is fairly similar to 6061, but it isn't quite as strong or hard.

If you can afford it, I'd go the 7075 series. The machine will be stronger and stiffer. If you price up your materials and have a heart attack at the amount, 6061 is the next best bet. If you can't get 6061 or the price difference is huge, look at 6063.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    If you can afford it, I'd go the 7075 series. The machine will be stronger and stiffer. If you price up your materials and have a heart attack at the amount, 6061 is the next best bet.
    No, it won't. 7075 T6 is stronger, but has almost the same modulus of elasticity as 6061 T6. Meaning it will not be stiffer. As you build a CNC machine for stiffness, and not ultimate strength, there is no added value in using the more expensive alloy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, thank you for pulling me up there. That'll teach me to look things up before posting.

7075 is a little stiffer but stronger and harder. My bad. As you say, strength shouldn't come into it. The hardness might just in terms of longevity of finish.

Ramazoti - you may find this site of some use (and I'll remember to consult it before posting anything that nic 77 is watching in the future

Compare 6061-T6 aluminum to 7075-T6 aluminum

Also note that you not only need to consider the type of aluminium alloy but how it's been tempered, as this will significantly alter some material properties too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    and I'll remember to consult it before posting anything that nic 77 is watching in the future
    No problems

I think the confusion might be that if you had two pieces of thin stock side by side one of each type, clamped or bolted at one end and you applied forces at the free ends, the 7075 T6 would be able to undergo more deflection before it experienced permanent deformation than the 6061 T6, so in layman's terms you might want to describe it as "more springy" which of course it is in that sense. It sounds like you have some experience working with both alloys so perhaps this is what you observed.

This is different of course than stiffness, where you're looking at how much it deforms per force or load applied, and not how much load can be applied before it can't "spring" back into it's original position which is a function of the strength.

For a CNC machine, you design so far below the strength of 6061-T6, because you want it to be stiff, that there is hardly any value added in using the more expensive alloy. Of course, steel is far stiffer still.

I agree with everything else you said regarding temper and machine ability, and I'm sure there are at least one or two things I can learn from you in the future .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazoti View Post
    Hallo Guys,
    i'm really tiered.. searching and searching ..and asking here and there ..

so i'm Building my CNC and my working Area in 500X800mm.
    and now i want to buy the Aluminum for the 2 sieds, front, back and stepmotor Mounts ..
    i've a friend he own a CNC and he will help me build mein and mill the aluminum

i have a Problem that i found alot of Aluminum types and don't know wich one of them to choese.

2017A or 7057 or 5754
    wich one should i buy to build my CNC??

thanx and i hope that i'll gone find my answer here..

Ram
    The 2117A is good for general Parts I think you mean 7075 not 7057 if so use the 7075 if this is what you have to choose from

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    I think the confusion might be that if you had two pieces of thin stock side by side one of each type...
    Very diplomatic of you, I'm sure, but nope

My confusion was forgetfulness and pure mistakenry over which property 7075 won at, rather than what property names actually describe: I plumb done got it wrong.

Of course, steel is far stiffer still.
    I'd honestly struggle with the idea of going to all that effort making my own machine and not going the extra little bit of effort to make it steel instead of aluminium. So much more potential capability for not that much more work or money. Worth considering, Ramazoti, if you have the tools and abilities to make your machine up with steel instead of ali.

...I'm sure there are at least one or two things I can learn from you in the future .
    And vice versa - learning and seeing cool stuff is why I come to this forum, after all!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so now i'll buy the 7075 my CNC will be milled from 2 15mm plates 400x800mm the coast till home will be 412€
    ist expensive but ...

my CNC is like the Frieda CNC