Thinking of getting out of hobby

Thread: Thinking of getting out of hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thinking of getting out of hobby

I have to many hobbies and thinking of selling my equipment, it has been all built by me.

Steppers on big machine are 420 oz in, drivers are a 2 amp , Control board is PBX-RF. all from Probotix. The router is a Porter Cable 3.25 hp. X,Y is 21" x 17". Z is 5" driven by 1/2" 10 steel screws with brass anti backlash nuts. Power supply is home built 40 volt non regulated and can hold as many amps as you can throw at it. Has heavy transformer.

Small machine has 280 oz in steppers and is run by PBX-2 from Probotix. run on a 24 volt Heath power supply. I built it for digitizing surfaces. but can be transformed into 3d printer, small router cutter. or anything you can dream up. the hard work has been done for you.

The computer is MSI 6 core with 16g ram and 250g SSD hd.

Thinking of $5000.00 for the whole set up.
    Am I low or should I ask more?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking of getting out of hobby-1f3cfbbe-jpg   Thinking of getting out of hobby-e583fc1e-jpg   Thinking of getting out of hobby-abe74169-jpg   Thinking of getting out of hobby-e9d4373a-jpg  

Thinking of getting out of hobby-1a572dc7-jpg   Thinking of getting out of hobby-fcf4f055-jpg   Thinking of getting out of hobby-c9bbd25c-jpg   Thinking of getting out of hobby-784b2c3e-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Thinking of getting out of hobby

I think you're a bit on the high side, if you want to sell these machines sooner rather than later. A new Chinese 6040, which is about the same size as your larger machine, goes for less than half that on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/800w-6040-car...words=6040+cnc

It has profile rails, which are better than your round ones, and a real spindle rather than your hand router. The design seems more rigid than yours as well. It may be that your machines have some better features than it does, but they aren't obvious, while the deficiencies are. You should also take into account that people generally prefer new machines to used ones, and commercially built ones to home-made. When selling home-built machines, you should consider yourself fortunate if you get back all the money you spent on the parts used in building them.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine can use cutters from .125 to .5. probably more HP than the 6040. I have cut aluminum on it. The computer is $800 by itself. I might try and start at $3k and see how it goes. I dont need to sell, but if im not using it, I think someone else may.

Downloads
    Uploads

* The computer is way more than needed for CNC and adds virtually nothing to the price you can get from most people looking for a CNC machine. For CNC you can get by with an old essentially worthless PC and if it works, then it works. My own CNC machine runs on an old discarded Pentium 4 PC and runs great, and has for 5 years now.

* As pointed out, your machine has unsupported round rails. This is a drawback no matter how well it works. It is what will sell, and people will generally be looking for supported rails, or profile rails if they know or have researched.

* The 1/2-10 screw drive is also a drawback. Again, if they know or have researched they will be looking for a ballscrew machine, and maybe even a double nut ballscrew machine.

* The 420 oz-in steppers are a drawback IMO, because at 2A, they have to be high inductance so are limiting the performance.

* The wiring and control box have an unfinished appearance with zip ties all over, speaker wire running to what appears to be a power supply. This has a non-professional look.

* The router appears to be the same single speed Porter Cable router I use for my woodworking projects. It is a good router, but if single speed, then not the best for a CNC if you want to cut different materials

* The pictures of both machines show clutter all over the place.

I'm sure the machine probably work fine for you, but if I were in the market for a CNC router, these are the things I see from your pictures. In my opinion you would be lucky to get anywhere near what you are thinking in the state they are in. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but if I were a buyer this is the type stuff I would be looking at.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....consider it a second hand machine and well used too.......nobody gets back more than 10 cents in the dollar for just the material outlay........EBAY will be the testing ground and starting the bidding at $1 K will be testing the water etc......the market will tell you what it's worth in the final bid.

What you have to realise is now that you have lost interest in the game the layout is just a door stopper to all intents and purposes and a bargain hunters dream......let someone who is impoverished have the joy of getting into the act without busting the bank etc.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I'd split the package into three separate items. My experience with selling second hand stuff is that it is better to sell smaller than larger packages. I have never sold any machines but a lot of camera gears and computers, so perhaps it's different but never the less I would try to split it into three.

Also, it doesn't matter what you think about your machines, what matters is what the buyers think. If you can't convince them that your machines are better than what is sold on ebay as new then you won't be able to sell. The fact that your hand router is capable of taking larger cutters than a real spindle is not necessarily an advantage and is not a good selling argument.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricator08 View Post
    I have to many hobbies and thinking of selling my equipment, it has been all built by me.

Steppers on big machine are 420 oz in, drivers are a 2 amp , Control board is PBX-RF. all from Probotix. The router is a Porter Cable 3.25 hp. X,Y is 21" x 17". Z is 5" driven by 1/2" 10 steel screws with brass anti backlash nuts. Power supply is home built 40 volt non regulated and can hold as many amps as you can throw at it. Has heavy transformer.

Small machine has 280 oz in steppers and is run by PBX-2 from Probotix. run on a 24 volt Heath power supply. I built it for digitizing surfaces. but can be transformed into 3d printer, small router cutter. or anything you can dream up. the hard work has been done for you.

The computer is MSI 6 core with 16g ram and 250g SSD hd.

Thinking of $5000.00 for the whole set up.
    Am I low or should I ask more?
    OK, now I had a second look at the pictures and my guess is that you are lucky to get something between 1/3 to 1/2 of what you been thinking. "the hard work has been done for you" is a very very strong overstatement. Looking at the pictures all I see is work work and more work before I'd use it. Step one would be to throw that router out the window and replace it with a spindle. I am convinced that even a 1.5kW brushless would do much better. Considering that, plus the fact that you are using round rails, I think you can be lucky to get about $2k for everything and it must be sold locally or someone who can have a look at it and could see it working and the could pick it up. Shipping... I think you can forget about that.

Also if you consider advertising it you should clean up the mess and take better photos. Tidy up, redo some wiring, replace the speaker wires... they are OK for speakers, that's all, they should not be used in such machines. Simple desk lamp wires are better, but proper cable is what you should use. Also get the specifications right, "can hold as many amps as you can throw at it" is just nonsense. You must also describe the drivers. Are you selling it with software? Which one? Is it licensed or pirated (don't answer here, but it is something you will receive questions from the buyer about)? Must also check the speed, measure the weight, milling area, floor area and so on and so forth...

All in all, regardless how much time and money I'd have invested in this, I would not sell it. In my opinion it is not sellable because it must be rebuilt from scratch and complemented with better material. As it is, it looks half ready, temporarily wired up for testing a concept. So it is not cheap to make it worth using it. I know how you feel, you spent a lot of money and time, so you are emotionally attached, but a buyer would not see it that way, the buyer would as himself "what's in it for me?" So you have to sell with reasonable neutrality, and be honest about the facts.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear, but I wish you good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

The biggest issue here is that the hobby CNC landscape has changes considerably in the last 5 years. Components are available today that weren't available then, and at low prices. $5000 buys you a LOT more today than what you are offering.

Having said that, it's worth whatever somebody will pay for it. If you aren't in a hurry, list it at what you think is a fair price and see if you see any interest.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I've been down that path too as I "rationalised" a lot of my excess collection of stuff I had from years back, and the price you get is nowhere near what you want ....ever..,,,,,but when it comes to excess stuff you've had the use of, even hardly used items etc, consider it as a reducing value as time goes by.....even brand new, never used, still in the box stuff etc won't sell high to a bargain hunter.

You could consider breaking it down to smaller component job lots, if it doesn't get a crowd response, to attract the people that are into DIY building and ypu could expect to get at least 50% of the bought cost back.........some stuff will get bundled as a job lot, but in the end you'll have that clear space for the new hobby.....whatever.

A friend of mine wrecked a 1964 VW and got, for all the parts, twice what he would have got for the on road running condition for the year......but you just have to put in the labour to do the strip down and EBAY is a far reaching market.
    Ian.