North America Back from 'hibernation'

Thread: Back from 'hibernation'

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Back from 'hibernation'

Well, after 20 yrs of shop floor hands on, and 32 yrs of teaching experience (coll./univ.) I finally found myself without much to do, even around the house, let alone with the nuts & bolts business anymore. During those years in the classroom and lab teaching, I closely followed many publications and forums related to the machining and manufacturing process technology, particularly this CNC Zone community!

Having come with the background in conventional machining processes as a tool maker (from an old German 3-yrs. apprenticeship program, YU), I found the CNC Zone community the most helpful in helping me navigate through some of the stumbling blocks I had regarding the Fadal, Hass, etc operating systems and their ever involving software support system.

If I were at the beginning of choosing the life time career again, I would still go for the machining/mfg.field today even more so than what the technology was in cc. 1950’s!

Good luck to the new explorers of the present mfg world, and keep up the good work CNC Zone!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Back from 'hibernation'

Hi...I can relate to your walk through life's journey as I did almost the same trip but with the difference that I always had a workshop....be it ever so humble there's no place quite like it.

From age 14 until now at 78 I just can't get enough of metal chipping, but as for the industrial workplace the pace has quickened and changed so fast that my skills wouldn't cut any muster in any place I applied for when I got retrenched at 60..... almost to retirement age......the Gov paid me not to bother looking after a while.

You're never too old to learn they say, and now I have my own CNC mill and am learning the lurks to run it .....just for fun.....I always wanted to have machinery like I used to work on, but CNC is a different ball game and that's what keeps me on the boil, so don't be a couch potato, get out in the garage and think up what you're gonna do for the rest of your life.....money does come into that equation.....LOL.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for sharing, handlewanker, indeed we do have something in common (besides the same age)!

I too have a workshop, down in my basement, but it's the woodworking equipment mostly inherited from my father-in-law the ex-cabinet maker. Until few years ago, I had nothing to do with woodcutting, not even for the fireplace, but then, I started 'playing ' with some of the wood cutting equipment (table saw, planer, router, etc), and interesting enough, I managed to build some 'impressive' (according to my wife,lol) toys for the grand kids! The only problem I had throughout the entire process was the 'precision' shift from a typical +/- .0005 - .0002" to a +/- whatever it looks good, and/or can be glued together!

I guess, the old saying still holds true; - the old habits are hard to change!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi......I'm a time served fitter and turner from the old school......'50s vintage, when fitting and turning was a regular employment medium, and my father was a tool maker from way back too.

As you have the background for a tool maker, you should be streets ahead of someone who has never handled tooling before........once the CNC bug gets you that's the start of something you will never shake off......better than sliced bread and money consuming (for a good cause) too, but it keeps the grey matter percolating which is the main thing in the activity pursuit.

If you take up the rod and run with it, expect to start mumbling G code sequences as you get bitten by the bug....it's extremely time absorbing and you won't have time to sit and watch the World go by......don't ask me how I know.
    Ian.