Milling strategy help

Thread: Milling strategy help

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Milling strategy help

Hi I have been trying to figure out a tool path to cut 9mm off one end of a .25 plate . the best i can figure is zero out on the side and then manually run the axis back and forth adding a little each pass . Anyone have a good strategy for milling off 9mm?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling strategy help

It really depends on how big of a bite your machine will take. If your machine has the power and mass to do it, then you could do it in two passes, one rough, then a finish pass. It all depends on your machine. Many times I will do something like this as a profile cut, and just set the width of cut larger than the diameter of the bit. That way it will cut multiple passes.

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you Jim , the machine is just a lightweight Ox c-beam screw so the bit will be small but is there a way to tool path or automate this or will it be a manual operation ?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not familiar with your machine, but yes, you can automate the process. As I said above, you can cut this as a Profile. In your CAM program set the cut width larger than the tool diameter, with a small stepover, maybe 10% or so. Set the Depth of Cut to what your machine will cut. That way it will make multiple passes to make the cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim got it!