New as in old is new again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New as in old is new again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New as in old is new again!

I'm new to CNC but plenty of experience as a toolmaker.
    My newly acquired Chinese USB CNC controlled 4 Axis 6040 machine is driving me nuts. The Planet USB CNC software is a nightmare to understand the instructions. I guess happen if I just let it... And get a little help here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New as in old is new again!

You need a CAD/CAM software to generate codes and input it in the planet USB CNC software sir , first you draw a line or object in the 3D environment then export it to a CAM software then input the G-code generated on your CNC software.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for that piece of advice Khouj.
    I have Vcarve desktop which I was told is an exceptional program for engraving signs (my intention) I also have Planet USB CNC to import Gcodes and control the router. My router is a Chinese made machine that came with a copy of Planet USBCNC. It installed as a demo program so I purchased a license to use it. This is where the waters become muddy. Naturally I updated the software to the latest version and also installed an updated Planet CNC driver.

Sounds good eh? Yes... Well the router now behaves quite oddly. It stops and starts, sounding like a ratchet when it stops and all the controls are working in reverse. For example I created a 6mm deep radius corner rectangle in Vcarve. The 'trial run' of my creation looked great so I saved the toolpaths as both a G-code and a.nc file. Both import into Planet CNC-USB program but display as if they are 25mm deep. When I try to run the router with no cutter in the spindle to see if it looks like cutting the shape, The spindle (Z axis) runs in reverse hitting the top limit switch. Then as the X and Y axis start to move, the router stalls sounding like a ratchet.

I can use the direction controls to run either X or Y axis back and forth between stops at both high speed and cutting speed without any stops or interference. When I wrote to Planet USB-CNC about this they said it sounded like I had a machine notorious for using counterfeit controllers. No Chinese manufacturer had a license to distribute his software either. The twist to this is Planet don't want anything to do with this problem if the controller box has one of their counterfeit cards in it. He said the 'right' card can be purchased from his store but none of the cards he is selling look like the one in my controller box.

I'm starting to think of applying to Paypal for a refund and starting over again by buying an Australian made router but those I looked at all use Planet USB-CNC software (I presume they also use a similar card as the Chinese use). I'd really like to know how other people who bought these machines get on. It was the 'experts' at Vcarve who recommended I buy Planet USB-CNC to process the G-codes their software creates. Quite frankly... It is this sort of carry on that is responsible for all CNC routers getting a bad name.

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess your router`s Z axis is trying to hit a limit switch sir, it`s a software issue, you can easily convert it to MACH 3 sir, it`s a setting issue on planet CNC software, if it`s a MACH 3 I can guide you through it step by step but I have no idea on the the software you are using right now, im kinda used to MACH 3, we have a CNC like yours too, or shall I say crappier than yours but with the right modifications, it`s alive and kicking right now with thousands of parts produced every month.

I wish I could post some pictures on all our work here but im afraid our customers might gun me down for publishing their designs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: New as in old is new again!

This is something I would like to explore. I will look at the Mach software again but I was led to believe I would still need to use a USB CNC controller like the one I have needing Planet CNC-USB software to drive the router.

That is why I bought a USB version and not a Parallel port one. Odd but the controller box has a parallel plug with a cable that has a USB plug for the computer end. Now that I think about it, I remember someone in another forum or on You-tube saying that Mach 3 doesn't need the USB software, it can control the router through the printer port. The PC I'm using has a printer port. What do you think? please don't call me sir, that's my father, I just plain old Ryadia!

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the USB port in your machine is just an emulator "bro" (im assuming you` re the same age as me) it emulates the LPT1 port, it`s basically the same function as the parallel port, you just need the USB driver on it to be able to detect it on your PC

I can give you a stable version of MACH 3 but then again it`s illegal on this forum bro...

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm beginning to think maybe I ought to get a parallel cable and Mach3. Last time I tried it (Mach3) I had trouble trying to make text on a curve. In fact I had trouble figuring out how to set it up! I'll give it another go and get back to you when I go as far as I can if that's OK by you.

Ryadia

Downloads
    Uploads

Ya sure, do post some picture too on the process so that I can edit it and post it back to you with the edited values on it do you want to make a gun too just like I did? hehehe just kidding though it`s possible, I tried it only using a machine like yours with the help of a surface grinder to square things up.

one question what version of MACH 3 did you use the last time bro?

Downloads
    Uploads

W7, Mach3 v062, ESS, Homann MB02 BoBs: these work just fine.
    Chinese stuff - flakey.
    If you are an electronics engineer and can program, you might get it going. Maybe.

Cheers
    Roger
    PS: which city?

Downloads
    Uploads

Regardless of which way you go, you're going to have to rewire something. And possibly add some new breakout boards and other hardware.
    Since you've already bought the Planet CNC software, the cheapest option would be to get their board.
    https://planet-cnc.com/product/cnc-u...r-mk34-4-axis/

Not sure who told you to buy Planet-CNC? It's not used by many here, but those that do use it seem to like it, and it's supposed to work well.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for replying.
    Planet USB CNC came with the machine and the support team at Vectric (Vcarve program) put me on to it as well. I've been in touch with the Australian maker of Masso controller about using his solution. The cost of it is not a lot greater than buying more Planet hardware. I'm in Brisbane. At this stage spending more money looks like the only way I'll get this machine functioning. I've been told most owners simply give up and try for a refund. 100% satisfaction Guaranteed!

Downloads
    Uploads

Planet USB CNC came with the machine
    No, a pirated knock off copy came with the machine.

Vectric probably pointed you in that direction because they thought you already had the right hardware.

There's a thread or two here about the Masso. Someone mentioned that not all features were fully implememted and or working yet? But that may have changed.

The Masso is 3x-4x the price of the Planet CNC board, but maybe it's a better deal for you, being in Australia.

A great many people have bought those cheap chinese machines, and ripped out all the electonics and started over with quality components.

While I run Mach3 on my machine, I would not recommend it today, as development stopped several years ago, and there are now better options.
    Planet CNC being one, If you buy their hardware.
    UCCNC is another.
    Eding CNC another.
    And the Masso as well.
    These are all well supported options, and far superior to most of the chinese stuff.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I appreciate what you are saying is all true Gerry but I'd like to point out that while you are 100% correct about the pirate copy of Planet USB CNC, how can a person (like me) who has researched and bought equipment on the basis of 'will it do what I want' The specifications and Ebay feedback, be expected to know it came with totally dud electronics and pirate software? I gave the seller a 5 star feedback after I'd assembled the router. I've since written to Ebay about the vendor I bought it from.

These guys are like weeds, get rid of one and two more pop up. I am quite dirty on Planet for telling everyone who has any issues with their software that they probably have a Chinese counterfeit board and try to disown them before ever discovering if the board they have is a copy or not. Planet published the circuitry of this board. They've only got themselves to blame for an unethical Chinese manufacturer starting to manufacture them. The board incidentally is not an exact copy and therefore can't legally be called a counterfeit. Who is ethical is a moot point when customers are being ripped off.

I have been importing goods from China for quite a while now. I can assure anyone trying to condemn the Chinese nation as being copy artists that 98% of Chinese manufacturers are ethical. The same thing going on with routers and to a lesser extent Laser cutters went on when Japan began to emerge as a manufacturing nation. Today they lead the world in metallurgy. Eventually China will achieve similar status. That doesn't help me or those like me who decided not to complain.

That having been said, I spoke directly with Hind Technology (they make the Masso). Yes this is more expensive than a Planet board a lot more expensive but it does not use a separate computer. That in itself makes the overall cost competitive. Once you wire the steppers into it and decide on using a play station or other jogger, all you need to do is connect a keyboard and monitor, feed it G-code and it goes to work. Setup of the controller is not as complicated as setting up Planet's software. The parts that don't yet work are things like WI FI and quite secondary to driving a router.

For me, all I need to do is make a phone call in my time zone and get 1 on 1 help with any issue I might be experiencing. I can't even post to Planet's forum without waiting for a moderator to approve my post or several days for someone in support to reply. This is how to treat a customer? I think not. They licensed their software to me and tied it to a pirate copy of their software and a copy of their obsolete controller board. The very least they could do is offer me a refund if they refuse to support their software.

Today I'll try out some of the software you and KH0UJ recommended. Khouj offered to walk me through using Mach3. The first offer of help I've had. That is where I'll start.

Downloads
    Uploads

how can a person (like me) who has researched and bought equipment on the basis of 'will it do what I want' The specifications and Ebay feedback, be expected to know it came with totally dud electronics and pirate software?
    Caveat emptor I am afraid. But there are PLENTY of sources on info available if you take the time - and make sure you are not just reading the sock puppets.

Planet published the circuitry of this board. They've only got themselves to blame for an unethical Chinese manufacturer starting to manufacture them.
    Sorry, but that is total rubbish. Planet can NOT be responsible for what any other mfr does. Not in law, and not morally.

There is always someone out there willing to offer a cheaper deal with lots of smooth promises about it working. That is human nature: rip off the gullible. It may not be nice, being told that you were conned, but there it is. Learn from it and move on.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah... Sets me back a little to be told what I already knew. Moving on...

I've just ordered a Masso controller and a few accessories for it. Let's hope I made the right decision!

Downloads
    Uploads

It will be interesting to hear what you think about the Masso controller. Some of his claims were a bit too wild and ridiculous when I looked some time ago, but maybe he has improved. Here's hoping.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe version 1 of the controller had a few uncompleted features. No one seems to have questioned them publicly. The controller is now 3rd generation and likely to be fulfilling everything planned for it that was not available in the beginning. Hind Technologies are pretty well thought of in Robotic controls in Australia. I can't find a bad word about them or any of their products.

I will certainly let you know if it lives up to expectations. 10 second boot time, functional Wi Fi all sounds good to me. Play Station controller jogging ...Awfully expensive but I'm hoping you only get what you pay for will fit in here. When I added a new PC if I went the Planet route there wasn't much difference in the cost. Local support was the big decider for me. If the worst came to the worst I could load the whole lot into my van and drive to Sydney if I can't make it do what the instructions say! There's on-line documentation if you are interested: Documentation - Hind Technology Group Looks fairly easy to me... Said the dying man!

Enjoy your evening,
    Ryadia.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you post you CNC controller here sir? I already uploaded the file you requested the last time on my google drive, I just need your email to share it with you, this is the chinese CNC board that almost everyone here is gutting and replaced it with a different board, it`s unstable, sometimes gets jitters when running @ 4 hours continuous, jumps between line programs without prior notice and crash spindles on the jigs , but I made it a rock solid steady and reliable machine by just using a bamboo stick and an 80mm 12VDC fan, since It does`nt have a 12VDC output on it`s power supply I just used an 82 ohm resistor to drop the 24V to 12VDC @ 0.4 amp load, by the way just last year this machines got paid off, so right now in the shop were counting profits minus my salary it`s paying for my salary .

If you can just solve all the problems that`s causing it`s instabilities, it`s a cheap and rock solid piece of CNC machine on my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New as in old is new again!-20170420_155859-jpg   New as in old is new again!-20170420_162220-jpg   New as in old is new again!-20170421_090330-jpg   New as in old is new again!-20170421_090341-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

There you go again... Addressing my DAD !

That looks nothing like my boards.New as in old is new again!-view-3-jpg
    New as in old is new again!-view-1-jpgNew as in old is new again!-card-alone-jpg

For my email address use my name at my name .com.au
    I'm pleased to hear you are making money out of your machine. Mine behaves like its got a ratchet on the stepper motors stopping and starting as if the pulse rate is all wrong ever since I updated the Planet software and driver. When I removed them and reloaded the pirate stuff that came with the machine it runs smoothly but does nothing its supposed to do. The Vendor gave me a settings file saying this would fix it. All it did was make the spindle look like it was going in the right direction on the screen but move in the opposite direction and hit the limit switch! the drawing looks right in Sketchup, fusion 360 and Vcarve. Load the gcodes into Planet's software and it looks upside down.

You have a different controller. I remember seeing one like yours in an older Ebay listing. The guy selling me the Masso said he gets a call a week from people having the same issues I have. The manufacturer sends these machines to Australia by the container load and then has lots of Chinese sellers advertise them for him. Never an Australian. They don't last long but there is always another one turns up using the same pictures, same price, Same free delivery from Sydney, same worthless guarantee. Customs in Australia are red hot in counterfeit goods. If the people at Planet really did own the controller board design they'd only need to write to customs and the whole shipment would be confiscated.
    New as in old is new again!-6040-router-4-axis-jpg

Thanks for helping.
    Ryadia

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi KHOUJ
    That mains filter in photo 3 should have an earth connection!

Hi Ryadia
    the spindle look like it was going in the right direction on the screen but move in the opposite direction and hit the limit switch!
    Then maybe you have the direction reversed on the motor. Can you fix that?

Cheers
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast