New to CNC

Thread: New to CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to CNC

My Name is Josh, I own a Jeep specialty shop in Colorado.
    I've had my 1960's Bridgeport and HES Lathe for 10-15 years and to this day
    I'm unqualified to use them, but i do anyway..I make lots of suspension links, mill knuckles and
    generaly inaccurate parts..
    Just had a 1985 Fadal VMC 40 fall into my lap, yes it's heavy.
    It did not come with any tooling, I did learn it takes cat40 tool holders.
    My electrician just got me wired up last night...it turns on..the screen was blurry
    for 5 min or so..then cleared up.

Is there a special forum on this page for very uneducated rookies like myself to ask silly questions?
    I've been designing parts that are made on CNC machines for 10+ years, but i pretty much know nothing about G code.

Thanks
    If you need to toss me from your forum, I'd understand

Josh

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to CNC

Those old Fadals are pretty nice machines especially in your case. LOL. Most of controllers have issues and in your case the display is getting old. Most people retrofit these to a newer control, however if the control is still fully functional might as well use it until it breaks. Yup they use CAT40 tool holders and you will find these don't give those holders away. LOL. My guess is it also contains the 20 position tool holder ATC another very nice feature. Most people who get these pretty much take them apart and check everything and clean them and paint them and put them back together. I think if you search just on Fadal on the zone here you will find several where they rebuilt the entire machines. There are lots of web sites that can tell you all about G-code. Most people really don't write their programs in gcode directly, however there are some people who actually do. Most people start off with a CAD drawing, usually created in AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc. That becomes the beginning of the process. The CAD file is often exported as a DXF file and imported into a CAM program like MasterCAM, Dolphin, etc. Where you determine how you want to process the drawing. As soon as you get through the various steps to create the part you can simulate the entire cutting process on the computer. If that all looks good you tell the CAM program to post the gcode. The gcode gets loaded into the Fadal and you position your work and zero you G54 location and start the program to cut the part. There is a good deal of learning but you will find it to be an interesting hobby and will be constantly learning new things. Even after you learn the CAM/CAM/GCODE process you will quickly discovered those old machinist were really pretty smart people. You learn how fast you cut FEED/SPEED and then you have to consider the Depth of cut, and all of this varies depending on the material you are cutting and the kind of cutters you are using. No one will toss you from the forum there are many newbees on the forum and they are all welcome. No one started off knowing how to do all this stuff, it is a learning experience no different than many other things, like paying a musical instrument, playing golf, etc. Welcome to the club. You might want to start by watching several youtube videos you will really appreciate what you can do and how it all works.

You might then decide you want to upgrade your control to something current and there are many options on the table and of course there are many prices points as well. There are many people who are willing to help you on your journey. So enjoy the ride.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Russ, that is helpful info.
    How much of the system is controlled by the shop air portion?
    Will the spindle turn without air? Is air left on all the time should the air to the fadal be shut off when not in use?
    To zero out one tool in one holder, does that require programming or a basic set up procedure.
    Is Jog mode for zeroing the xyz?
    are there downloadable programs to see how a process works and to make simple shapes and parts?
    The handheld controller seems to work in all modes to jog the xyz..
    I have (somewhere) a 15+ year old version of Mastercam, will that work with this machine?
    Do I need a old paralel port computer to make it upload slow enough for the cnc?
    Sorry for so many questions.

Josh

Downloads
    Uploads

Shop air is typically used with the tool changer. When a tool change gets activate the current tool in the spindle is released with air pressure using a pneumatic air valve that is activated.

Air is normally on at all times but the spindle should spin with out air pressure.

Tool lengths are typically stored in the control. This is done so when tools are changed in a gcode program they can be used immediately without zeroing to work piece.

Programs can be loaded into the controller over the rs232 interface, you probably have the 88 control

If jogging is all working you could be in business pretty quick, good news

No just a pic with a serial port and a serial cable

Probably find you a simple gcode program

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Crawler,
    Your version of MasterCam should still work, if you understand how to use that program. If not there are some free CAM programs you can use as you start.
    Russ