CNC milling as equivalent to punching machine

Thread: CNC milling as equivalent to punching machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question CNC milling as equivalent to punching machine

Hello to all!

This is my first post in this community, so, here I am, happy to meet you!

Since some time, I am getting into CNC milling technics, I did watch lot of videos, online courses, etc.

I would like to know about your experience in: what is the capability of a milling machine for thin plates cutting, bending and drilling. The ideal would be to have all: CNC milling, punching, laser cutting, lathe, etc. But reality make that difficult, so I wonder if a CNC milling has or might have with some addons an equivalent (even if slower) capability,

More especifically:
    - Is it practical to use a CNC milling machine for cutting thin (e.g. <1mm steel) plates. My common sense tell me that it might be not easy due to the sheet flexibility, vibrations/noise generated, etc..
    - In the same direction, is a CNC milling machine capable of thin steel plates bending?
    - Is there technics for this purpose: e.g. laser cutting that can be adapted to the tool holder? In case, what are the considerations, terminologies used?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC milling as equivalent to punching machine

Thin materials are difficult to cut on a mill for the reasons you stated above. It can be done, but is not efficient. There are much better ways to cut thin sheets for production parts. For prototype parts a mill can be used.

Bending very thin? Maybe with proper tooling, but I would not use my machine for that. A mill is not designed to handle heavy loads like a press is.

Laser cutting...No. Safety considerations and slag would be major problems.

Each machine type of machine is designed to do certain operations, and do not do well when used for other purposes. Sounds like you need a CNC laser and a brake press. Or maybe a turret punch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC milling as equivalent to punching machine

Thanks you for your quick answer.

What you say make perfect sense and I wondered something like that. Thanks you.