new guy , old maxnc10

Thread: new guy , old maxnc10

Downloads
    Uploads

Default new guy , old maxnc10

hey there folk's , like the title says new guy old MAXNC10 open loop machine . I was told buy a gal at ximotion , (the new folks that run MAXNC) that there is no support for my machine . My son suggested maybe using a
    arduino to run the machine , I am a nut's & bolt's guy , & I have no clue where to start , so I will be needing some advise from some of you pro's out there
    tks
    animal12

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: new guy , old maxnc10

The MAXNC10 is a simple three axis machine if I recall correctly. You can probably retrofit this with Mach3/Mach4 pretty cheaply. You will need a new Breakout Board and depending on the stepper motors and drivers that might be all the hardware you need. If you have a newer computer that does not use a Parallel port you are best to buy a USB BOB, like the Ethernet Smooth Stepper, but there are others.

You need to confirm exactly what is installed on the machine. The kind of power supply, stepper motor and sizes, what kind of stepper motor drivers. Post a picture.

Actually it is not a very complex process but for someone brand new there is some learning curve.

Software comes is several flavors, Cheap like LINUXCNC free but takes some knowledge to get setup and working. Mach3 big support group probably easier to setup than Mach4 it will cost $150 but lots of people use this software, pretty easy to setup as well. There are some newer software packages as well as other low cost controllers as well. Budget will kind of dictate which why you should go.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank's for replying so fast . Where would be the right forum to post my questions & pic's to . I have a control box of some sort , has a pot on the side & a port for a parallel printer. The steppers are Powermax II 1.8 . thats bout all I know .I have been reading the mach forums , but I get lost pretty easy , like I said , nut7s & bolt's .I would like to get this machine going again without dropping a ton into it until I see what it can do & how I can do with g-code or what ever I end up using.

Downloads
    Uploads

Where you posted is just fine. Not sure if there is a MAXNC forum on the zone. The printer port connection on the side of the box pretty much indicates this ran off a computer with a parallel port which was very common. You might even be able to use the existing controller if it is documented somewhere. The parallel port definition used in CNC is very common. Some machines use different input and output pin assignments. I will do a quick search to see if there is a MAXNC10 document on the web.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

The software that ran those things needed DOS - if you're really old, you may remember it. And yes, they required a computer with a parallel port. But even for the time, the control box wasn't great; it tended to overheat easily, at which point the solder holding the transistors would melt, and they'd all start leaning into one another, at which point bad things would happen involving smoke and sparks.

You'd be best off just replacing everything upstream from the motors, and putting in a new control system that you can run from LinuxCNC or Mach3 on a more modern computer. And watch out for that Dayton spindle motor burning up - definitely don't store anything flammable above it.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

We were prob going to use Mach3 . my son suggested dumping the electronics & going with a Ardunio , maybe a UNO . I have looked a bit at them & there is ton's of things out there for them
    .I'm also trying to make a cheap DRO , using digi caliper's for my HF mill. So are those steppers ok ? We would like to get this guy moving back & forth under it's own power as cheaply as possible to see what the mechanic's are like and then dump some $ into it & get it going full bore .What are the thought's on using a Arduino ?. From the little I have read I think it may be the way to go , or at least . I will be asking in the Mach group too , I think there's some folks using the UNO . I figure if I can't get the electronics going I will buy/make some crank's & put it next to my Taig lathe . I will see what the protocol is for posting pic's & then send some .
    thank's
    animal12

Downloads
    Uploads

Arduino devices tend to be low in power, but they might be enough for this. There's really no point in putting cranks on that machine, since you'll have no idea where you are without any calibration dials. The mechanicals are weak; these machines used 1/4" screws which tended to distort, and no bearings for the screws so they'd float along with the motor armature, then hung the motors by 2 screws, which left them rather unstable. Dumping more than a few $ into it would be a mistake, but if you consider it a learning experience you could have fun with it.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

animal12,
    Don't go with an Arduino, they are nice devices and such but get something that will work and is very easy to setup.

If you can't reuse the stepper drivers get a Gecko G540, made and the USA and they really work.
    Gecko G540 ( USA, FREE Shipping) | eBay

If you can reuse the stepper motors and drivers get yourself at Ethernet Smooth Stepper, this uses an Ethernet cable to the computer for the interface, it has a large following and you just install the plugin to the Mach3 software and you are off to the races.

Russ