New to CNC

Thread: New to CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to CNC

Hello,

I am looking into the options for building a CNC from scratch. After looking at a lot of you-tube videos I think I have a good handle on the construction of it.
    Where I get a bit lost is in the controls... this is where i am looking for some help.
    These are just my ideas so if anyone has a better way please let me know... you will not hurt my feelings...

I wanted to use the TinyG -3- axis controller with the VCarve to create with.
    After contacting Vectric online store they said it does not talk directly to the TinyG...???...

Staying with the TingG as the controls what do I need to talk to it.
    I already have AUTO CAD to design so I guess I really don't need the VCarve...or do I ??? or could I use something else.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Leo

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to CNC

What are you hoping to accomplish with your CNC machine? V-carve software is good for designing signage - is that what you had in mind? If the signs you plan to make are very small, the TinyG might be an appropriate controller for it, but it's underpowered for most stepper motors larger than NEMA 17. You'd still need a G-code interpreter like Mach3 or LinuxCNC that would take in the G-code from V-carve (or whatever CAM software you use) and feed it to the controller and drivers. Since the TinyG is limited to 2.5 amps and 30v input from the power supply (most sources suggest 24v), you'd need to find motors with extremely low inductance if you want any speed from them. Since torque is dependent on motor current, don't expect a lot of that either.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your reply. I was going to do some signs but more than that too. Small carvings some arts and crafts for my daughter too.
    I will be using the NEMA 23s to move everything so it sounds like the TinyG is a bit too tiny for me. Looking at -2- drives for the Y axis if that makes a big difference.
    What do you think about the BIQU Smoothieware MKS SBASE V1.3??? I was looking at this too... If you think its a good fit what would you sugget to control it.
    Again thanks for the help. Would hate to spend a couple of hundred just to find it will not work.

Leo

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeoZuppani View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I was going to do some signs but more than that too. Small carvings some arts and crafts for my daughter too.

[You might look for more general-purpose CAD and CAM programs, then.]

I will be using the NEMA 23s to move everything so it sounds like the TinyG is a bit too tiny for me. Looking at -2- drives for the Y axis if that makes a big difference.

[Usually you'd use dual drives on the longest axis, which conventionally is called "X".]

What do you think about the BIQU Smoothieware MKS SBASE V1.3??? I was looking at this too... If you think its a good fit what would you sugget to control it.
    Again thanks for the help. Would hate to spend a couple of hundred just to find it will not work.

Leo
    [I couldn't find the specs on that, but it seems about the same sort of thing as the TinyG - okay for running 3D printers on 24v with NEMA 17 steppers, but not up to the task of running a CNC router, which has a lot more resistance to overcome, since it needs to push against the material it's cutting pretty hard. If you're mainly interested in fooling around with DIY electronics, then sure, you'll learn a lot by struggling to get these cheap kits to work. But if what you really want is a CNC machine that works well, then forget about everything tiny, smoothie or ardweenie, get a G-540 and be done with it.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It does make more scene to do it right the first time and not have to fight with it. I will do more research.
    Thanks again for the info.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think if you want to make your TinyG to be stronger in torque you can match it with a NEMA 23 kit in each axis New to CNC-2016-september-purchasing-30kg-cm-cnc-nema Link >>>> NEMA 23 and yes you need a separate power supply on the kits to work properly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running three NEMA 23 steppers with my TinyG without issue. The drivers are rated for 2.5 amps per winding but will handle 2.8-3.0 amps with a PC cooling fan on the heat sinks. That covers most NEMA 23 motors. Have you read through the TinyG wiki on github? Straightforward setup.

TinyG had the best price per performance for me at the time. No regrets yet.

Since you're familiar with Autocad, they've come out with a TinyG post processor for Fusion 360. Pretty slick.

evehooper

Quote Originally Posted by LeoZuppani View Post
    Hello,

I am looking into the options for building a CNC from scratch. After looking at a lot of you-tube videos I think I have a good handle on the construction of it.
    Where I get a bit lost is in the controls... this is where i am looking for some help.
    These are just my ideas so if anyone has a better way please let me know... you will not hurt my feelings...

I wanted to use the TinyG -3- axis controller with the VCarve to create with.
    After contacting Vectric online store they said it does not talk directly to the TinyG...???...

Staying with the TingG as the controls what do I need to talk to it.
    I already have AUTO CAD to design so I guess I really don't need the VCarve...or do I ??? or could I use something else.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Leo
    wow that sounds cool.. any update on what you're building? can we really build it like diy?