Greetings friends,

I've only registered just now, but am familiar with CNC conversion from awhile ago. My latest project - yet to be delivered - isa Gorton 2-30 Tracer with Tracemaster controller. All hydraulics are intact except that the hydraulic pump doesn't seem to be there. Though CNC conversion may be a remote possibility, I'm most concerned with the possibility of converting oil motor drives to servo. The nicest part, besides the high quality and heavy dutiness is that all the ways show little to no use. The machine saw almost no service since it was made in the early seventies. It has a Pegasus controller with memory boards. I'll srip off the old computer. I'll srip out the old hydraulics, too, as long as I don't inadvertently disable the machine. I'm most interested in the ball screws. I'd like to make some kind of manual/CNC hybrid, if possible. I have two Accurite DRO's to commit to the task. My own fantasy project is to create a manually operated machine capable of complex milling operations, but with full manual control. Sounds heretical, but I believe there's room for such a beast. At any rate, reading the Practical Machinist threads on this subject, there's no possibility of ressurrection. It seems it's entirely up to us with our imaginations to devise a plan....