Newbie looking to bond with Dad over some metal chips.........

Thread: Newbie looking to bond with Dad over some metal chips.........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie looking to bond with Dad over some metal chips.........

Hi Guys,

I just joined because I'm considering the purchase of a G0704 that will eventually get CNC converted.

My Grandfather and Father were both machinists and while my Dad is still around, I want to do some small projects/minor gunsmithing with him and maybe some bonding over some metal chips.

I currently have a Smithy 3 in 1, that while better than a drill press for a lot of the small projects I enjoy, it's not much better and it's a little tired.

Can someone tell me if there's any need advantage of purchasing the machine with the DRO from the factory if I'm going to be eventually (1-2 yrs) be converting the Mill to CNC?? Or is the DRO a waste of money at that point?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie looking to bond with Dad over some metal chips.........

One of the main reasons I go to my router instead of using my manual mill is that, on the router, I don't need to count revs and ticks on the scales. It's lazy but it's also a bunch of maths you're always doing and an opportunity every cut to lose count or just get the calculation wrong in your head resulting in a pass too short or too long and a wrecked part.

If it's going to be a couple years and it's only a few hundred bucks to get the DRO, get the DRO. You can always chuck 'em on eBay and recoup some or most of the cost when you convert.