Hello. Here to learn about CNC.

Thread: Hello. Here to learn about CNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hello. Here to learn about CNC.

Hi,

Im Dave. Here to learn about CNC. I am recovering from a back injury and forced to give up my Hardwood floor and Tile business I owned for 25 years. I am interested in a business I love this time..and I love guitars. I would like to learn to set up and use a CNC to make guitar bodies and necks, and other things from wood. Im prepared for a significant investment with a high learning curve. This machine will not be the sold source of income for my business...and mostly for personal use and for some products here and there. I am specifically interested in inlay work as well.

It's a lot to tackle. I have time. I can afford it..even if it doesn't make money for awhile. I can invest the time to train/learn.

So...where so I start?

Thank you ahead of time. Looking forward to learning from you guys.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hello. Here to learn about CNC.

I have done a lot of marquetry and inlays starting 2008. I just post an Instructable here:
    ww.instructables.com/id/Laser-Marquetry-Inlays/
    Start with learning Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw if not already, I do recommend Adobe Illustrator because that is what I used and ImagePaint only work with Adobe Illustrator software.
    CNC Laser is easy to use. Look at small sized Epilog or Trotec laser engraving machines, they are more reliable than others. You don't need large laser machine, since in wood inlay work, you cut the wood veneer in small pieces (I have an Epilog Mini 18 with working area of 12x18 inches).
    Buy veneer from places like Certainly Wood | Full-service veneer merchants since 1983, Browse Veneer | M. Bohlke Veneer, or one of my favorite Veneer Wood, Dyed Veneer, Purchase Veneer Sheets, Marquetry Veneer, Pool Cue Veneer
    Cut the veneers into sizes that will fit in your laser. Keep them in semi tight container to guard against moisture.
    What the above tutorials and you will see that marquetry and inlays with a laser is very easy.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a pretty busy market meaning there are a lot of guys making guitars. That does not mean that you cannot succeed, just that there is a lot of competition. The big boys already have the market saturated with excellent products. Then there are all the other guys with a cnc machine.
    If you can afford it, then I would suggest a larger machine. 4' x 8' maybe. Then you are not nailed down to just a guitar sized machine. There are several good ones on the market and experience with them varies of course. Most of that can be researched right here at the Zone as well as elsewhere.
    Cam Master is one.

Shop Bot is another.
    I do not have experience with either, but they are good machines and do receive lots of good feedback from owners.

Good luck with it and sad to hear about your injury. Doing something you enjoy far outweighs the other kind of work.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This place has beautiful veneer. The owner used to do marquetry:
    Veneer Wood, Dyed Veneer, Purchase Veneer Sheets, Marquetry Veneer, Pool Cue Veneer

Highly recommended.

Steve