Welcome thread-tell us about you. - Page 4

Page 4 of 418 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome thread-tell us about you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Wyatt,

I remember you from CG Help before it folded.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey Gary, I was wondering what happened to that place.
    good to see some familiar people around.

Wyatt Turner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mike, hows the furnace going? You cast anything yet? I built the two bucks style, and though I haven't cast anything except ingots, I'm burning to get back to it! Nice looking furnace by the way. By the way guys, I am new here too. Got into CNC with some buddies, but that didn't work out so now I'm on my own. Got a few ideas for hardware store machines that do not use drill rod, window channel, or other unobtainiums. TAKE A LOOK ANYONE OUTSIDE US. Once I get the plans together They will be available to all countries. No reason U.S. should be exclusive! You guys are all great! I really look forward to sharing, and being shared with! Cheers!

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Wyatt,
    took a quick look at your Site. Enjoyed it! Welcome to Cnczone, i hope you will enjoy this place as much as i do!

Keep well,

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Hobbiest,

Thanks, the furnace turned out pretty well, but it sure was a lot of work. I made my own refractory which for me will be a once in a lifetime experience. I'm going commercial castable next time. I have cast only one lump of aluminum in a hollow of dry sand. That leaf blower motor is too powerful even with the dimmer switch and I have to crank up the natural gas (waste!) to keep it going so I just was out working on a new blower made out of an old 1/2 variable speed drill. Hopefully I can cast something next weekend.

Looking forward to checking out your plans.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,
    My furnace uses the Reil type burner. No forced air, and the thing kicks butt!!! Sounds like a small jet engine, and only cost about $5-$10 to build! My refractory was homemade also, following Oliver's recipe, and my only problem with it is small cracks in the surface. Pretty easy to make, just a bit labor intensive once my big 1/2" drill wouldn't mix it any more!

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I'm new to the zone, about two weeks, and this is a very nice site. My name is David, nick name "SneL". I'm in Greer, SC. I've been in machining for about 18 years, ToolMaker for 13. I own a machine shop on the side making a lot of custom tooling , molds, automated machines, etc. ,,Loaded down with work but not really ready to take the leap into full time business. I have a lot of experience under my belt, including urethane casting and industrial ceramic slip casting, so feel free to ask questions whenever.
    Thanks,
    David

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been involved in lathe machining in the western New York area since the late 70's. Very little milling. Became CNC literate in the early 80's. Became a programmer in the late 80's. Mid 90's then the fun stopped when I was promoted to supervision. On the cad-cam side we used anvil 5000 but are now transitioning into pro-e. We have Miyano BND's and BNE's, an Emco 332, and a couple of 4 axis Okuma's. We don't generally use cad-cam for any of our lathe work. Until a week ago I wasn't aware of a site like this so I've been on the side reading. Alot of the questions aren't related to anything I've every done. When I see something I can relate too I won't be afraid to throw my two cents in. In the mean time I'm just enjoying the site.

Gunner

Last edited by Gunner; 02-02-2004 at 04:08 PM.
    Gunner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi from Spain here, by now just acumulating skate ballbearings and surplus steppers, and some good knowledge with the hope of be able to apply it..

thanks in advance
    /U

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,
    I have been lurking and sometimes asking and replying when I felt I could help. My wife & I own and run a Photography Studio. I used to be in the fabrication and design for a company but got away from that. I have built a small cnc router, cnc hot wire foam cutter, and recently a electrically fired furnace to melt aluminum. Have started designing to build a heavy duty cnc mill/router to mill aluminum, mild steel and engrave on stone. I plan on a dual spindle so I can also cut wood. Gee now I've probably said too much, so now I will go back to lurking and etc.. GREAT FORUM Thanks Ron

Downloads
    Uploads

Default This is me

My Name is Michael and i live in Wi.

Im a Mech Tech for a company that makes educational products. I make Babys for a living…really I do…

I have no formal schooling of any type. HS is it.. (now you know why im cheking this site out) Hehehe

My passion is Model Boat racing and im the Out Board Director for the IMPBA (International Model Power Boat Association). I also operate a small MFG business out of my home designing, kitting and selling RC racing boats.

This is not a plug for my company its just a happy to get to know you post. My site is www.grimracer.com

I also moderate at a Model Boat Forum www.intlwaters.com Just like the this site its nice to know that there are others that share the same passions and you.

Im new to CNC. I like the info here and the guys/gals seem to be very helpful.

Kind Regards

Michael AKA "Grimracer"

you have the right to ROCK

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile From

My name is Scott

Live in Groton NH USA

Just joined last week. Been in Screw machine for 28 yrs and spent 10 in CNC.

Mostley swiss cnc but the last 9 years machining centers and cutting screw machine cams on a horisontal mill with rotory cnc.

Need to build one for home, going for a home shop. Cam Cutting.

Never Give Up

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G'day all

Unleash the newbie!

My trade background evolved via a year spent as a tradesmens assistant for plastic injection tool and die making, then began a 4 year toolmaking apprenticeship. Was lucky to learn manual cnc programming via heidenhain control.

After completing my apprenticeship i moved into other fields of the plastic industry thus:

Vacuum
    Thermoforming
    Extrusion

Made as with teamed up on many molds over the years from automotive to household.

Additional fields:

Jigs and fixtures.
    Automation- special purpose machine building.

And currently involved in Aerospace- aircraft part manufacture including reworking of parts.

You never stop learning i must say.

Cheers to all, Brett.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm building a cnc router. My mistakes are very well documented at http://www.machinecnc.com. Now back at the drawing board.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New to this site. Ive been tring to find a good new/used cnc router to purchase. I am looking at 3-d milling and engraving aluminum motor cycle parts.Im almost ready to buy one on e-bay
    I am a cnc machinist and have a full machine shop at my disposal. If I can find good plans for a ridged portable machine I will build my own.The only thing that concerns me is hooking up the steppers and wiring. but im sure this site will help
    But as with most beginers Im having a hard time explaining to the wife why I have to spend alot of money for the machine and the software. So I guess I have a hambuger budget.
    any help would be appreciated .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This site is a great resource!

I'm new to the forum as well. I have only been on a few days, but I have learned quite a bit so far. The most ironic part is I design high precision servo and stepper stages and actuators all day long, yet when it comes to getting a personal project up and running, the software and controls portion slows me down. I'm far more mechanical than electrical. Are there any other people on this site who have completed servo systems? If so what do you have for controllers?

My largest project at the moment is retrofitting a 10 year old CNC Bridgeport for as little money possible. It was orginally all CNC, but I am adding handles for manual operation. Anyone with links for vendors of CNC controllers that handle servo drives WITHOUT step and direction inputs would be a great help. All the mechanical parts are there along with the motors and drives, but the controller is smoked. I need a replacement controller, and a CAM package that will interface with Solidworks, as I have a legal copy of it at home. I can't wait until I can draw up a 3D model, download it to the control and go machine it. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have quite a collection of ballscrews, leadscrews and linear ways. Only a few larger sized ways, but many smaller ones. I'm also working on a pile of stepper motors, servos and drives that I have collected. I'm trying to get them together and ready for ebay. Plus, if anyone has a servo compatible controller lying around, and needs any of the hardware I just mentioned, let me know and we can set up a trade.

NEATman
    Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. Wernher von Braun

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Meah,

You're all in trouble now ...
    Names Richard, Richo, D!ck or pretty much anything else that you might like to throw my way. If i'm looking at you I'll probably answer.

This is a really good site that you guy's have got going here. VERY informative.

I'm a plumber that has got "off the tools" & am now working in a builidng services design office. I've spent the last two & a half years as a designer/CAD drafty so I don't have too many issues with drawing something up. I'm also (fairly) proficient with Acad2002.

WOW. 6 pages of replies ...

I am here to learn ... or at least that is the intention.

You'll all see this rep. elsewere. my bad. sorry.

Richard
    If I truly knew what i was doing I'd be up the front teaching
    "If it aint broke ... F*&^ with it till it is"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

Turned up this site in a search for post processor help. I've been machining/programming for 25 years. Currently using UniGraphics NX. Experienced with too many CAD/CAMs to list. I do contract programming on the side. I am a senior programmer for the world’s 5th largest medical device manufacturer. I've accumulated experience with just about every kind of machining and materials. I have extensive experience with plastics and exotic metals. Located near Memphis, TN.

I think this site is great. Lot's of good information here for the hobbyist and beyond. Keep it up.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

cutfinger

Originally posted by Rekd
    There's still 1,550 members lurking...

Come out and play!!

'Rekd
    "Show and Tell" seems very much a North American peculiarity and some of us "others" do not feel comfortable sharing our creations made from gas pipe, roller blade wheels, particle board and hose clips.
    Lurk and Learn with no commitment makes it possible to take in many sites with similar interests.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

cutfinger I'm going to disagree with you. I think we have as many users from Canada that show their creations and I know we have several from England, and others from Sweden, S. Africa,
    New Z-land, Mexico, Turkey, Spain and oh yeah, ynneb and the crew from down under Australia! Oh, I forgot a couple. There is one Chicago "vacpress" and that guy that designed the auto matic tool changer for the mini mill......

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Page 4 of 418 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast