Hairline measurements..

Thread: Hairline measurements..

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hairline measurements..

I've been laughing about this for a couple hours now, so I thought I'd share my 'outside the box' machining process for the day;

We're doing laser preperation for microwave housings. Essentially, we get a housing, (alum), with a bunch of islands and pockets. The housings are already machined and plated, (silver over nickel over chem film over bare alum). Some of the housings are over several hundred bucks appiece BEFORE we get them. (Pucker factor 8.5 right there before we even start.)

We have to take about .020" off the top and bottom to prep them so they can laser weld the covers on after assembly.

The edge-break requirement is .001 to .004" per edge. This on a part that was machined by someone else, with wall location tolerances of +-.005. The edge break plays a very important role in the success of the weld.

In order to measure the edge break, I had to resort to using one of my hairs under a microscope. (The hair measured .003" dia and works great!)

I wonder if our customer would approve of our measurement methods. (We'll have to add a new category to our "checked with" section on the FA reports)

'Rekd

Similar Threads:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hairline measurements..

Originally posted by Rekd
    I've been laughing about this for a couple hours now, so I thought I'd share my 'outside the box' machining process for the day;

'Rekd
    Go 'Rekd, You da man

PEACE

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey rekd if you ever need tighter tolerences let me know. I have measured my hair and most of it is .0015 with some at .002 The problem is I'm losing it so fast I will probably not be able to help you much longer!

turmite

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rekd you're lucky you're not bald. I must say it's an ingenious way you've come up to measure!

FA report: "Component to spec, finish not hairy"

Klox

*** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Downloads
    Uploads

turmite wrote:
    I'm losing it so fast I will probably not be able to help you much longer!
    Yeah! I hear that. But not to worry, it seems to take root in my shoulders and back .
    And my grand-daughter (age 3) says I have a mustache in my ear

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    "To tell you the truth, I'd much rather talk one thousand times to one girl, than talk one time to a thousand girls."
    - - James M. Barrie

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Klox
    Rekd you're lucky you're not bald. I must say it's an ingenious way you've come up to measure!

FA report: "Component to spec, finish not hairy"

Klox
    Not bald yet...but my forehead is almost 2 inches longer than 2 years ago. Luckely I have enough hair to last another year or 2, then I'll be able to do a comb-over for another year or so.. but it's going quick!

'Rekd

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hairline measurements..-rekd-gif  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Rekd,
    you're far from bald!!! I wear my hair cropped short, like GI Jane after she got serious, without the make up!!!LOL

Klox

*** KloX ***

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry forgot to say: i can send you guys a pic of myself if Paul don't mind a serious "server down" crash....

Klox

*** KloX ***

Downloads
    Uploads

I think all you guys should post photos so people know who they're dealing with...

By the way, Rekd, do you use blond or red hair for the smaller diameters? Way to be creative at work!

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Jennifer
    I think all you guys should post photos so people know who they're dealing with...
    I hope you're not excluding yourself from this suggestion..

By the way, Rekd, do you use blond or red hair for the smaller diameters?
    That's a loaded question.. I actually prefer red because they seem to be stronger, more stable, more reliable and IMNSHO they are just better suited for the job (for reasons I won't go into here.. )

Of course, for the larger more sensitive features, I have to use the "short-n-curly's"

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)