V Bit for cutting cast metal, Any Suggestions?

Thread: V Bit for cutting cast metal, Any Suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default V Bit for cutting cast metal, Any Suggestions?

Hi
    I am looking for a good V bit for cutting cast metal that will last longer than a few minutes... I have tried many styles of v bits and the tip seems to break not long after starting to cut. I am machining on engine heads and Blocks, The biggest issue I have found is finding a good one with 1/4" shank, Does anyone have any suggestions on Brand/type, feeds and speeds etc. any input would be very helpful as the cast metal is all new to me.
    Thanks
    Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The tips might be breaking because you're using the wrong feedrate for the RPMs of your spindle. If that fine tip doesn't spin really fast, it won't remove all the material in the way before moving on, so the weakest link (the tip) gives way. Of course, if those pieces of cast iron you're working on are hard, then you might not find anything that will cut it for long. Test the metal with a file - if it just skates off the surface without biting, you might need to send those parts out for annealing before trying to work on them.

What are you trying to do, anyway? If it's just marking them, maybe a laser would be a better tool for that. But here's where you can find a sturdy coated carbide drill-point endmill: Micro 100 Tool Corporation Look for "drill mills".

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com