Need Help! I need sugestions on what lathe tool to use

Thread: I need sugestions on what lathe tool to use

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I need sugestions on what lathe tool to use

I need suggestions on what lathe tool I need to make "barbed hose fittings" I have a CNC lathe, and I would prefer not to have to make a tool change. If you can suggest a lathe cutting tool that would be able to cut this piece out from start to finish that would be awsome. Keep in mind, I do not need the threads or the hex head. All it is, is the barbed part and a round flange at the end. Very simple part. I have basic lathe tools, I have already tried to cut out the part. One of the tools will cut the "barbs" but not the flange. And the other tool will cut out the flange but not the barbs. Like I said, I would prefer not to do a tool change. I have to make 5000 of these parts and a tool change would be costly.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure if this is helpful or not...A picture is worth....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need sugestions on what lathe tool to use-lathetools-gif  
    Keith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey: Just sharpen a HSS suare tool tool so that the angle on the tool end matches the angle of the barbs.Start at the end, and plunge the tool in to cut the first barb and retract in X.
    Move the tool to the next Z, and do the same thing again repeat until all barbs are cut.

ps: check the other post for the info on the turn groove cutters.

regards

----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey cam1. That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. The only problem I see with that, is that I have 5000 of these parts to make! I'm worried about consistancy. As far as the turn groove cutters go, I called ENCO and they said those are not capable of cutting side to side? I thought they looked very promissing. Maybe I should try to find more info on those.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi: Try a tooling OEM like Sandvik , you'll get better advice. A turn groove tool will make a finish cut for either RH or LH turning. I'd start the toolpath from the LH side.

regards

----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid