How hard do you have to hit it??

Thread: How hard do you have to hit it??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How hard do you have to hit it??

And i am not referring to the salesman...or maybe i am!
    I have a victor tns2 turning center with fanuc 10t controll in pieces as we speak. Started off as a good clean and strip to ensure the lube channels are not blocked. The deeper i went the sadder it looked.
    1 It would seem that the turret was knocked so hard that 12 M10 bolts and 4 taperpins sheared off at once
    2. the turret casting has a crack of about 2" long where it bolted onto the x axis slide.
    3. The lube pump had a broken spring, reducing the efective stroke by 70%
    4. Gaskets and o-rings were omitted during the rebuild causing coolant to enter places not intended for coolant.
    5. the seal that is supposed to keep the oil in the z axis gearbog leaked coolant though the bearing causing major rust on the ballscrew end and bearing.
    6. the z axis coolant was only going on half the slideways causing heavy gauging on the gib and slideways (where you cannot see it from the outside)
    7. the z axis ballscrew was ploughing throug caked coolant and chips
    and 2 of the bolts on the 1" thick keepers that kept the x axis slide in place broke though the keepers (metal fractured internally)and made mounds on the bottom of about 40mm diameter x 1.5mm high and also caused two other fractures right through the keepers.

My question: How do you hit a machine that hard?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Simple. Install large three jaw chuck. Run spindle to full RPM. Set rapid % to 100. Issue a G0 move into spindle. Crash crunch. Don't tell anybody.

Sorry to hear your all too common story.

Karl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I heard about an Okuma that crashed so hard the turret housing broke right off and ended up in the chip pan.

Downloads
    Uploads

We are talking heavy metal and high speed here! It scares me to think of that high speed crash and the power of it.
    Coming to think of it, the chuck has got scars made by the serations of the jaws on it's face. so those bolts also broke off!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like a major overhaul to me.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.