supported at each end and the head and tailstock can be raised or
    lowered relative to the bed. A secondary vertical column is
    incorporated in the integral tailstock to avoid an unsupported overarm
    and tailstock. The machine uses stepper motors to drive each axis. A
    separate stepper motor is dedicated to driving the headstock
    (Stepperhead) The axes can be operated either manually, power driven
    by the stepper motors or CNC operated via the lap top computer. I
    entered this machine in the Model Engineers Exhibition in 2008 at
    Ascot UK where it was awarded a Gold Medal and The Bowyer-Lowe Trophy.
    I have written an article which will be printed in the Model Engineers
    Workshop soon. I have added some dodgy videos on utube. I tried to add some pictures on this site but was told they are too large but you can see them on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Urwick...30808/pic/list

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiug1F8XCME&feature=user"]YouTube - Stepperhead Taper Turning
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxv1jU-R_A&feature=user"]YouTube - Stepperhead sharpening end mill flutes
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDNTeuojC78"]YouTube - Stepperhead End mill Sharpening
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxgWhizX54"]YouTube - Stepperhead Gear Cutting
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMmDCHkff0c&feature=user"]YouTube - Stepperhead Spiral Milling
    "http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sCsZN8Spbq8"]YouTube - Stepperhead Happy Birthday

Regards
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bud, that is impressive ! I must see more, will there be planes offered ?

That is one of the sweetest machines I have seen is quit some time, and it looks like it is capable of doing much more than you have shown.

The disk hub looking item at the back of the spindle, is this a Brake for holding indexing ? Is it phumatically operated ?

Its quite obvious you have put a lot of work into this machine. I would love to see more about its funtion and abilities.

Edit - after looking closer I can the disk brake looking piece is the pulley hub.

Jess

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jess
    The large disc hub is the mandrel pulley the main motor is mounted below the bench and drives via a polyvee belt. The mandrel can also be driven by a steppermotor driving the mandrel which can index and drive the mandrel for spiral milling etc. I have also added some pics on flickr see
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32647007@N02/?saved=1

Regards
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Alan,

Just very nice, I have a thousand question to ask about this machine, but I will try to keep it simple.

The main spindle drive motors, I have never seen this type motor. What are they ?

I though it could be driven via motor or stepper, this has been talked about here on the forum a few times, how you accomplished it would be a good topic.

Your feed screw, here again this looks like a very different setup. Is it a gear drive inside those housing that then drives a ballscrew/acme,ect,ect...? Or maybe even a worm/gear setup?

Is there plans that I could purchase for building this machine ?

I have a real need for a machine like this in my shop.

Jess

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jess,
    At the minute I do not have any plans or construction instructions. It would be a significant undertaking for probably very few takers. The main spindle drive motor is a conventional 3 phase motor. A separate stepper motor can be engaged just for indexing the mandrel. All the other details are revealed in the MEW article when they get to publish it.
    Regards
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepperhead - Work of art!

All I have to say is that's an absolute work or art!

Well done on building the StepperHead and THANKS for sharing your work with us!

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely agree cbailey73160, "A work of Art" is probably a understatement.

jackary2003, when you find out the date of the MEW article please post the date for us.

You say more detials will be shown when this is puplished, will it get into any tail about some of the design of the machine ?

Even though it would be a hugh undertaking to build this I for one would love to take that project on. I believe you would be very suprized just how many people would be interested in plans for this machine. The Home Shop Machinist guys really go for machines of this size and ability.

I would really be interested in the setup you have going on with the stepper motor drive assembly, that is a very nice looking and interesting way you have implimented this.

Jess

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepperhead

Jess,
    I will let you know as soon as I know when it will be published. I have described details of the saddle drive in the article.
    Regards
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepperhead Article

Jess
    Thought I should tell you that an article I submitted to Model Engineers Workshop a UK magazine will be published in Nos 151, 152 & 153. That is June, July & August 2009
    Regards
    Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi jackary2003, I'm hoping you can assist me; I've been trying to follow your stepperhead lathe for awhile and have found the pics on Tony's site:

Page Title

and followed it here, too:

Stepperhead - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

As I was reading the threads/postings I read that you were possibly making plans/drawings for the stepperhead? it's been sometime (on my part), i know; but I've been out of touch with this practice/craft and wanted to pick it back up with a good project build, like the Stepperhead, now...have plans been made, if so how may I obtain a set to build the stepperhead?

"Are you gonna eat that?"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi praetor,
    I have sent you a private message.
    Regards
    Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

I must say, nothing much like this impresses me much, after working in the industry for so long. Having said that, you impress me sir ! Nice work all around. No dodgy adapters, fit and finish was nice, and good programming. Well done.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its the best I've seen and I've been doing this since 1962 When your ready to go to the market let us know and well darn sure get, one love it and hope to see more.
    Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

He is offering plans now, but its a pretty envolved build. I will have to agree its a heck of a build. If I had the funds I would be in on a set of plans but I am no where close to being able to build one until some machines get done.

Jess

GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by a1woody1 View Post
    Its the best I've seen and I've been doing this since 1962 When your ready to go to the market let us know and well darn sure get, one love it and hope to see more.
    Joe
    Thank you woody if you want details of the book etc please contact me at
    alan@jackary.plus.com
    Regards
    Alan