Long full acme thread machining

Thread: Long full acme thread machining

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Long full acme thread machining

Hi experts.
    I need an advice on machining an 86 inch (2200 mm) long 3½ inch (89.9 mm) acme thread, with ½ inch (12.7 mm) pitch.
    We have machined long acme threads before, but never this long. And in the past we also had the possibility of using a steady rest, as our Daewoo Puma CNC lathe was long enough for this job. Now that we are to machine longer threads, we have purchased a second handed Geminis GHT4x4000 lathe, suitable for this kind of work. The problem is just that this is a flat bed lathe, and there was no “mobile” or following steady rest, following this machine. It has a self centering fixed steady rest, but this means that the slide cannot pass the steady rest.

So my question is, if it will be possible to machine this 86 inch (2200 mm) long thread without a steady rest, still avoiding shattering? Or will it be necessary for me to buy or make a following steady rest? The material is stainless steel.

Thanks.