Downloads
    Uploads
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al, In order to keep the tapered bore perpendicular to and concentric with the pitch dia. I'd true it up in a lathe and taper bore the pulley.

Dick Z

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Al, the only really accurate way to mount a taper bored pulley to a shaft is to set up the pulley in the four jaw chuck in your lathe and bore it with the compound slide set over to the angle.

This will guarantee the pulley runs radially and axially true.

There is no other way.

Just don't bore too big or the pulley will go too far up the taper.

Start testing the taper fit when the bore is halfway there and adjust the compound slide as required.

At the same time, while it's set up, you can plane the keyway in the bore with a boring bar on it's side using the saddle handwheel to plunge it in and out, making sure the keyway is marked out and on centre.

I use a small jack under the chuck with a wood pad while planing keyways to prevent the chuck from turning.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi Al, the only really accurate way to mount a taper bored pulley to a shaft is to set up the pulley in the four jaw chuck in your lathe and bore it with the compound slide set over to the angle.

This will guarantee the pulley runs radially and axially true.

There is no other way.
    Now, there is always some other way.

I did one on a motorized rotary table on a mill, I did not have a lathe available. The taper was 20 to 1 per side so with a 3/8" ball end mill just raise the Z 0.020 and move out 0.001 and let is go around 2 turns.
    Benefit was a perfect angle without messing with a sin bar and indicating the compound slide.

Scallop height was 0.00027" so a light sanding and it was every bit as good as you could get on a lathe as far as fit and run out. If done on a CNC I would have used smaller Z steps.

Downloads
    Uploads

the only really accurate way to mount a taper bored pulley to a shaft is to set up the pulley in the four jaw chuck in your lathe and bore it with the compound slide set over to the angle.

There is no other way.
    Can be done in a CNC mill with a tapered helix tool path. Angle is as accurate as the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmmmmm, and Hmmmmmmm again. just goes to show you the old guard have a lot to learn, all of these new fangled gadgets.

I wonder how many people would get it right first time.

BTW, how would you cut the keyway?
    Hee Hee, just trying to be clever, I know there must be a dozen ways....

Actually, cutting the keyway while the job is set up after boring will ensure that the key is dead parallel to the axis of the bore, which will ensure that the key will not deflect the pulley if the keyway was cut as little as .01mm out of line.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andre'B, just reread your post, I take my hat off to you, didn't realise that the rotary table and the mill set-up was not CNC.

So, moving the spindle .020" and the table .001" is a pretty neat way of getting the angle at 1:20 with just a conventional mill set-up, using a motorised rotary table of course.

Which leads on to say, who needs a lathe anyway LOL.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which leads on to say, who needs a lathe anyway LOL.
    Ian.

When I got the mill (RF-30) I also got the 8" rotary table. At the time the only lathe I had was a little 6" Atlas/Craftsman so I mounted a lathe chuck on the rotary and rigged up a variable speed motor to turn it, figuring it could do some larger lathe type work. Works OK but it is slow and the finish on the parts does not look right.

Biggest part it has done is true up some 24" wood (MDF) wheels for a bandsaw.
    Do not have any pics of the machining op but here is a low quality pic of the wheels on the sawmill.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitting to Taper shaft-sawmill27-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

....So, moving the spindle .020" and the table .001" is a pretty neat way of getting the angle at 1:20 with just a conventional mill set-up, using a motorised rotary table of course....
    The thing is you have to pronounce N E A T the following way T E D I O U S

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andre, as they say, when the devil drives then needs must be.

I quite applaud your methods, I've never let an occasion when I was able to adapt a machine to suit a project deter me.

The very first milling "machine", I had was a 1/2" Atlas bench drill with a South Bend lathe saddle turned upside down and bolted to the base to form the X Y slides.

BTW, is the RF-30 mill the one with the round column?

I can't say I was very impressed with the rigidity of the head even with a 1/2" end mill in steel.

If that's the case I'd definately fit cross braces to the head and down to the base to dampen the flexing while milling, similar to that used on horizontal mills.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Geof, Tedious? I thought he was a Roman gentleman, yeah I know what you mean, but if it works in the end so what, not the best way to do it but it works.

When I was apprenticed in the 50's we had a couple of friends who built a beach type buggy using galvanised pipe for the chasis and a two cylinder air cooled water pump engine coupled to a Land Rover gearbox they "found" in the company's reclamation yard.

They had a lot of trouble keeping the back wheels turning and it turned out that with their limited knowledge of engineering they had just sandwiched the wheel flanges between some large nuts and washers on the rear shaft, and it was this that kept coming loose.

So being the "experts" mechanicaly wise, as we were second year appies and they were just high schoolers, we were challenged to solve the problem and set about chiselling a keyway in the shaft ends and the wheel bores, using just a 2lb hammer and a grooving chisel along with a couple of files.

Needless to say we got a couple of keys to eventually fit after much filing and fitting, but it worked.
    That was tedious, worse than Manual Labour the Spanish chappie.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is another way to turn a taper on a lathe.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitting to Taper shaft-p1000711-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Here is another way to turn a taper on a lathe.
    That is a good one!

Far more years in the business than I care to remember, and that is a first for me.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    That is a good one!
    Thanks, I treat that as a compliment.

Sounds like I should have contacted the patent office before posting the picture.
    I knocked the setup over Easter as I had 160 pieces from 3/4" steel bar with a taper to make. I also have an ongoing order of 1500 alloy pieces which also need a taper so a thought it worthwhile.