Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Thanks Bob,
    The Tool-bit is in the mail! Let me know what you think of my free-hand grinding!
    Widgit
    Widgit, you are absolutely the best!

Thanks!

BW

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    1). Grind the 90 degree flats on the end of a piece of tool steel (broken tap)
    2). Force into the end of a piece of mild steel in the vice, with an alignment jig.
    3). Finish turn OD on mild steel pin.
    4). Flame harden the mild steel part (if you think it needs it)

There: Instant diamond socket.

Neil
    Here ya go Neil!
    After modifying my spin jig so it would bolt on to my 6x6 sine plate, I made up a stack of jo-blocks and started grinding on an old 1/2" shank end mill!

Now that I have the forming punch. I need to make the guide block and some soft 303-SS blanks!

Soon them cubes will be spinning

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2959-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2960-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2962-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Great stuff!

Just another enhancement.
    Before poking the tool into the piece of mild steel, drill a 1 mm hole in far enough so that when you form the socket, it has a hole at the apex.
    This should stop any dirt damaging the corner of your cube.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

A good day to tinker on my pet project!
    I took a piece of tool steel around 1.5" dia, and drilled a 7/8" dia cross hole. Then I drilled and bored a .5005" dia hole for the punch, using my lathe to make sure everything was concentric.

Then I drilled a .1877" dia hole through the remaining length, for the part to slide into. Then I sharpened a flat bottom on an old end mill, and put a nice spot-face around the .1877 hole.

Next, I turned up a quick sample piece from 303-SS, and tried pressing the punch into it with my 6" Kurt Vise. The result was a perfect diamond shape, exactly like that of the cubes corners!

Now I did not drill the 1mm hole in the test piece, but I plan to do that on the final parts! Now it's time to get some small .1875" ID bearings, so I can make up a nice spring loaded frame to hole the cube while it spins!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2972-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2974-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2975-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2976-jpg  

Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2977-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_2978-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation I have some small ball races.

From 5/32 OD upto about 1/2", with or without flanges.
    I could put a couple in the mail 4 u.
    What size do you want.
    My email is in PM. Thanks for using my idea! Nice job.

After making the last post, I placed an order on eBay for ten 3/16 ID x 5/16 OD x 1/8 Shielded bearings for $19.95
    Then I fell asleep in my easy chair! When I woke up, I saw your post!
    Thanks anyway Neil!

Widgit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default quick turner's cube

Here's a three-step cube I finished today for a final in "Applied Machining" (second semester trade school class.) Pretty fast and loose. Each side had to be done using a different process (boring on a mill, boring on a lathe, milling on a mill/rotary table combo, g-code/Hurco, Esprit/Hurco, and Ultramax Converstional/Hurco.) Fun project. Now that I've seen one, I think I'm going to make one with 6+steps and the rights proportions.

May have to make a stand for it...wonder where I can get plans for that?

-Jbot

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know how to say this and other way...but WOW!!! I just spent the last hour or so reading every post and looking at every picture, and all I can say is that I am inspired by this entire thread to go out and make one of these cubes. I have only been maching for about 6 months, and I know it will take some time, but those cubes are so damn neat, heh. Anyways, just wanted to say awesome job, and thanks for the amazing imagery and reading material.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful work, check out his man, it will give you even more ideas he was an incredible turner John Jacob Holtzapffel's

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool. any update on the project?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default turner's cube

One site every one should see is Robert Bosco site

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/robert.bosco/modeleen.htm

Marcel Beaudry

For some time now I have had an idea for turning all the little scraps of plastic in my shop into something useful!

So I sat down in front of my mill and here is what I came up with!

First I made up around 40 pieces of assorted plastics into .7500" x .7500" cubes, then I used a 5C collet with a square hole in my little indexing fixture. Next I drilled six little holes in each cube, one per side. Then I went to the next size, and the next size, etc.

Now I have a handful of really tiny and proportionate Turner's cubes made out of cast acrylic, white Delrin, black Delrin and some white nylon!

It's amazing what you can do when the lathe is down for repairs!

Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_4138-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_4139-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_4140-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_4141-jpg  

Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_4142-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-100_4143-jpg  
    Last edited by widgitmaster; 02-08-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added more pics!
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Downloads
    Uploads

this is sweet!

i was reading this thread say a month back, weird how its alive again

i didn't know they made square collets... if im looking at it correctly

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    this is sweet!

i was reading this thread say a month back, weird how its alive again

i didn't know they made square collets... if im looking at it correctly
    well they're round collets with square holes

Downloads
    Uploads

You guy's have way to much time on your hands!!

NOW GET BACK TO WORK ON YOUR HONEY DO LIST

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    well they're round collets with square holes
    S.A.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JimPAC View Post
    You guy's have way to much time on your hands!!

NOW GET BACK TO WORK ON YOUR HONEY DO LIST
    This is proper work. Almost automatic, and they sell like hot cakes at the trash market.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. THREE ways to fix things: The RIGHT way, the OTHER way, and maybe YOUR way, which is possibly a FASTER WRONG WAY!

Enough already!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a question about the diameters of the circles and depths of each step. How did you figure out the dimensions so that the hole on the neighbor side wouldnt break threw the wall and such. I want to try to make one. If I make one, im freakin framing it and putting it on the wall!
    Also, could I just make a fixture that locked into the normal lathe jaws? Say a 6" or 7" piece of stock, face/turn/face and make your same type of clamp system onto that?

Downloads
    Uploads

I cheated and used a CNC mill to mill the holes out, but the maths is the same- I used.

Bore diameter= 85% of cube face length.
    Depth of bore= 15% of cube face length.
    Cube 2 face length= Cube 1 face length-(Depth X 2)

This was in acrylic.

I then dyed it black.

Admittedley, it's not a large cube... so when I get some time I'll have a go at this lump of ally

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-cube03-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-tint01-jpg   Making Large "Turner's Cubes" on an Engine Lathe-bigcube01-jpg  
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast