New Machine Build CNC Mill/Lathe

Thread: CNC Mill/Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Mill/Lathe

Hello eveyone,

Im looking for a cnc milling machine and have a budget of $5,000. It doesnt have to be the best of the best as long as it can do 0.001 Im happy. The table size I was looking for something at around 13x8x6 + .

Should I piece a kit up or buy a complete machine? I dont know where to begin.

I've asked Thelittlemachineshop and a few others but they just tell me to look on here. When I do, theres so much information that its overwhelming. I been coming back to try and search but no matter what I do my google-fu sucks and ant find the right answer for what Im looking for.

Sorry, I know this must be a redundant question but Im just a little confused at the layout of the forum and need some getting use to.

Thanks everyone.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't seen any CNC mills with that work envelope that are within your price range... Probably the closest I have seen is the Tormach PCNC, or the Industrial Hobbies mills (although I'm not 100% sure of the pricing on the last one)

Alternatively if you're willing to go with a slightly smaller work area you could get one of the mini-mills from LittleMachineShop and convert it to CNC using one of the kits from CNCFusion.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. Im looking into the mini-mill and that can work for my projects. Its actually small projects I just want the extra headspace in case I need any more room.

Im looking on the CNCFusion.com page and I see the X2 or x3 kits. Seem like the x2 can be the smallest I can go and still have extra cash for CAD/CAM programs.

So these are the parts I've gotten listed so far for the mini mill:

Harbor Freight Mini-Mill (althou 0.002)
    CNCFusion Kit #2

What other parts are need to get a complete working machine?

Sorry for asking so much questions, I just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess these are probably the basic things you need to get started:

X2 Mini-Mill w/ Tooling Package - $1055
    CNC conversion Kit - $579
    Nema 23 Motors & Gecko G540 Controller (from CNCRouterParts.com) - $519
    Control Computer - $350
    Shipping - $400
    Basic CAM (Cut2D) - $150

Total - $3053

Be warned that there will likely be extra costs for tooling as you find you need more and more specialized cutters etc... Also if you want more advanced CAD/CAM software you will end up paying at least $1000 for it.

I haven't included the cost of Mach3 (control software) as I prefer to use EMC2.

I have had pretty good results with Sketchup Pro & Cut2D on my router, but haven't gotten to use them on my mill yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure of your CNC experience, but if you are new to it, don't expect to spend a few weeks and build a machine and start using it... This is fairly complex stuff with many,many variables.. What sort of parts are you trying to make, and in what sort of materials and volumes? Your "business requirements" should drive what tools and thus what cost you can expect to incur, irrespective of the time element which may drive a different set of decisions. Maybe check classifieds first? Would be a lot faster than trying to get a new machine and spending a few months trying to get it working. FWIW I plan to upgrade my shop and have my servo powered 4 axis 2hp G1006 in the classifieds, and there's probably others there too.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    I guess these are probably the basic things you need to get started:

X2 Mini-Mill w/ Tooling Package - $1055
    CNC conversion Kit - $579
    Nema 23 Motors & Gecko G540 Controller (from CNCRouterParts.com) - $519
    Control Computer - $350
    Shipping - $400
    Basic CAM (Cut2D) - $150

Total - $3053

Be warned that there will likely be extra costs for tooling as you find you need more and more specialized cutters etc... Also if you want more advanced CAD/CAM software you will end up paying at least $1000 for it.

I haven't included the cost of Mach3 (control software) as I prefer to use EMC2.

I have had pretty good results with Sketchup Pro & Cut2D on my router, but haven't gotten to use them on my mill yet.
    Wow, great info. I greatly appreciate it! Seems like the $3053 still gives me room for software. But, for now, I just need to know the tools/basic software before heading to more advance applications/equipment.

Thanks again for the help!