Need Help! Routing sheet metal - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Routing sheet metal

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Routing sheet metal

Quote Originally Posted by Molo1818 View Post
    Lol, ok, I did say I was learning !!!! Hahaha
    It wasn’t much of a sight, only got a 1/4” before it snapped.
    The slowest I can get with this router is 10000. My old router only had one speed so I used a speed control but I’ve been told not to use it with this one because of the variable speed controller on the new one doesn’t play well with it .
    I’m assuming at 10ipm your saying I should try to do a full depth cut and use the side of the bit instead of the tip ?
    Here’s a pic of the bits I’m using....
    Thanks again

Is you spindle air cooled or water cooled if water cooled, an adjustment to the VFD can allow it to run slower

Buy carbide those HSS won't last to cut steel at those speeds 3 to 5 flute for cutting what you want to, you may also want to try a carbide burr, this will be much stronger than a Endmill and will handle the high RPM if you can't go below 10,000, you won't be able to plunge with it but once you do get through, you could do a finish pass

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Routing sheet metal-carbide-burr-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I can see the burn marks on the cut sections! Red hot.

I use an air blast to clear the chips away with a pulsed misting. That works fine on most metals. The air cools and the mist keeps the cutter wet so metal does not stick to it. Read up on MQL for the details. It is worth while. For fluid I use a mix of 3 parts kero : 1 part olive oil. The parts come out almost dry, and the oil is of course cheap and bio-compatible - unlike many toxic 'cutting oils'.

I did try a burr once, but it could not take the metal I was cutting. It may have been meant for PCBs.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Is you spindle air cooled or water cooled if water cooled, an adjustment to the VFD can allow it to run slower

Buy carbide those HSS won't last to cut steel at those speeds 3 to 5 flute for cutting what you want to, you may also want to try a carbide burr, this will be much stronger than a Endmill and will handle the high RPM if you can't go below 10,000, you won't be able to plunge with it but once you do get through, you could do a finish pass
    No spindle.... 3hp porter cable router

Downloads
    Uploads

You are wasting your time with HSS in a router. You need to buy a carbide end mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

No spindle.... 3hp porter cable router
    Then the Carbide Burr would be good to try

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    You are wasting your time with HSS in a router. You need to buy a carbide end mill.
    As much as I enjoy the festive bright red glow this time of year, I get your point . Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Then the Carbide Burr would be good to try
    Thanks Roger, the carbide bits I do have are 2 flute spiral. Being I’m a bit more than halfway through already should I try with one of those? And should I continue using the tip or plunge past and use the side of that bit?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, it`s an autoCAM right there, on my side I can cut that by just using a concrete nail as a tool bit (custom sharpened) that`s for sure, on a custom CAM I can program to cut the small islands piece by piece, nose dive 0.2mm (80mm/min.) then loop on the pattern @ (400mm/min.) then nose dive again @ 0.2mm (80mm/min.) then loop on the pattern @ (400mm/min.) until it cuts completely the one island then move on to the next island, if it`s just 0.4mm thick you need to target at least 0.8mm to compensate the flexing of the sheet metal, so for me @ 0.2mm per pass so that`s a total of 4 pass @ 0.2mm each dive, the picture I posted the last time is a stainless steel sheet (2mm), it`s more tougher to cut it than plain steel (Watch Bracelet)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Routing sheet metal-0410d502-3181-42f0-aebe-0e6f208fef26-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Roger, the carbide bits I do have are 2 flute spiral. Being I’m a bit more than halfway through already should I try with one of those? And should I continue using the tip or plunge past and use the side of that bit?
    Depending on the quality of the Carbide, a cheap carbide endmill sometimes can be no better than a HSS, it sounds like the cutters you have are for wood, you could try and go full depth with the carbide, but I don't think they will work that well

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

This is some of my examples of a concrete nail at work @ 0.4mm depth, it`s not cutting but carving

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Routing sheet metal-photo0040-jpg   Routing sheet metal-photo0046-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Depending on the quality of the Carbide, a cheap carbide endmill sometimes can be no better than a HSS, it sounds like the cutters you have are for wood, you could try and go full depth with the carbide, but I don't think they will work that well
    Sorry to ask but could you send me a link for an online supplier for a good bit so I can compare?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to ask but could you send me a link for an online supplier for a good bit so I can compare?
    You don't say what country you live in, I know online does not matter, but if it is to far away it would take to long to get it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You don't say what country you live in, I know online does not matter, but if it is to far away it would take to long to get it
    USA, I just wanted to make sure I’m shopping for the right one.

Downloads
    Uploads

USA, I just wanted to make sure I’m shopping for the right one.
    These are Dremel carbide burrs only 1/8" shank but are worth a try the 9910 could be interesting 9904 and 9902, once you try these and if they work ok you will know what direction to go, you could use these at high RPM as well start slow with the feed rate and slowly increase it to find the best cutting speed to match your spindle RPM, you can only use the double cut burrs like the photo I posted

https://www.widgetsupply.com/categor...bide-cone.html

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been using the "klot" branded carbide mills running on eBay with pretty good results of late.

Only drama is that you order now and get them sometime in mid January..

Downloads
    Uploads

These are Dremel carbide burrs only 1/8" shank but are worth a try the 9910 could be interesting 9904 and 9902, once you try these and if they work ok you will know what direction to go, you could use these at high RPM as well start slow with the feed rate and slowly increase it to find the best cutting speed to match your spindle RPM, you can only use the double cut burrs like the photo I posted

https://www.widgetsupply.com/categor...bide-cone.html
    Ok, great thanks!!!
    Which leads to another question.....
    I’ve tried 3 different 1/4 to 1/8 reducers, all won’t hold the bit tight.
    Looked for a porter cable collet 1/8 but I’ve only found 1/2 3/8 and 1/4.
    Any suggestions????

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, great thanks!!!
    Which leads to another question.....
    I’ve tried 3 different 1/4 to 1/8 reducers, all won’t hold the bit tight.
    Looked for a porter cable collet 1/8 but I’ve only found 1/2 3/8 and 1/4.
    Any suggestions????
    If the reducers won't hold, roto-zip have a straight 1/8 collet that might work, if you have someone that can ream a hole in a short piece of 3/8 or 1/4 round bar, ( it can be made from any material ) then you can Loctite the Burr in to the sleeve and than hold that with your normal collet

Here are 2 that should work also, make sure the Burr shank is not 3mm this will be loose in a 1/8 collet, if the Burrs you have are 3mm shank dia, then you will have to make the bushing as above to suit

https://drillbitsunlimited.com/14-to...-P4895344.aspx

1/4'' to 1/8'' Collet Reducer | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If the reducers won't hold, roto-zip have a straight 1/8 collet that might work, if you have someone that can ream a hole in a short piece of 3/8 or 1/4 round bar, ( it can be made from any material ) then you can Loctite the Burr in to the sleeve and than hold that with your normal collet

Here are 2 that should work also, make sure the Burr shank is not 3mm this will be loose in a 1/8 collet, if the Burrs you have are 3mm shank dia, then you will have to make the bushing as above to suit

Thanks for all the help!!!!! It was a Xmas present for my brother , it was a huge hit !!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Routing sheet metal-20ab5bee-e126-467a-aa92-ac80e4f15b58-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and just to let you know, the burr didn’t make it here fast enough, I ended up finishing the outer cut with a 1/4 ball nose carbide 2 flute spiral. Surprisingly it still looks like it is in good shape!

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and just to let you know, the burr didn’t make it here fast enough, I ended up finishing the outer cut with a 1/4 ball nose carbide 2 flute spiral. Surprisingly it still looks like it is in good shape!
    Looks good, when you said it you could not go fast enough, what speeds and feed where you using, it should of been doing better than a ball nose 2 flute

Mactec54

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast