CNC Aluminium UK

Thread: CNC Aluminium UK

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Aluminium UK

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Im after some aluminium with good maintainability for my cnc router but i cant seem to find any here in the UK. I guess eBay would have been the best place but when i search for "aluminium 2011" for example i find nothing.

I have some small projects in the pipeline and just need a bit of guidance to find the materials i need.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC Aluminium UK

The most common version of aluminum used for most cnc routers is 6061, it is probably the most common and easy to machine and has good properties.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

yeah thats what ive been looking for but where can i buy it in the uk?

Downloads
    Uploads

I've noticed quite a bit of solid Al bar on eBay from the UK., various sizes and lengths.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

aluminium warehouse is probably the best for relatively small volumes - most stuff is available cut to size.

I tend to use ecocast plate from there for most things these days.

Ebay is often quite useful for small amounts of random stock too. 6082 T6 is very common in the UK but you can usually find more "exotic" blends too like 7000 series.... 6061 is really more of an American thing, but the two are pretty similar. Not sure why you aren't turning anything up but perhaps drop the type from the search, just search for eg "aluminium offcuts/bar/plate/rod etc etc".

Last edited by zeeflyboy; 10-15-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

I can find off cuts fine when searching but i want to make sure i get the correct aluminium for machining.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most aluminium offcuts you find on there will be fine for machining... especially offcuts as they tend to have been the waste product of, well, machining.

6061 is more of an American markets thing, 6082 T6 is the uk equivalent and has very similar properties in pretty much all regards.

https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/6...82-T6-Aluminum

Needless to say the cast tooling plate such as eco cast also has excellent machinability as that is exactly what it is designed for.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeh 6082 T6 is what you want for machining, it's by far the most common grade around these parts for aluminium billet. Machines well, decent strength, no issues with anodising, can't really go wrong with it. I usually use Metals4u, TheMetalStore or eBay for my materials, I have a local materials supplier when I need material quick too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Im after some aluminium with good maintainability for my cnc router but i cant seem to find any here in the UK. I guess eBay would have been the best place but when i search for "aluminium 2011" for example i find nothing.

I have some small projects in the pipeline and just need a bit of guidance to find the materials i need.

6082 replaces the 6061, there are supplies for 6061 in the UK but 6082 should be easier to find, and has the highest strength of any alloy in the 6000 series

Mactec54