This may be a little crazy topic but I'm posting it and hoping for the best.

I have been asked to build a Wine display cabinet for a client. I'm 95% woodworker and have a large CNC ....but my Z axis is to low for this project.
The client bought a house built in 1915 and believe it or not it still had the Hot water heater from 1915!! It is made of solid Copper! About 12" diameter cylinder and stands 58" high. VERY cool looking. Sits on a very ornate cast metal base (somewhat art deco). So the game plan is to have the base Glass media blasted and Powder coated gloss Jet Black. I currently in the process of going thru the various grits of polish with my slow speed buffer and it is coming out great. So I need to cut a door opening and hinge it. The door needs to be approx 8" wide and 32" high. My question is the best method to cut super straight lines. Would be nice to radius the four corners. Install some cool CNC walnut shelves and toast! I'm thinking a thin cut-off wheel in my dewalt 4-1/2" grinder with a straightedge clamped to the heater. I see a lot of problems with this idea. My CNC would be great but is not large enough. I'm trying to avoid taking it to a outside machine shop. I'm hoping someone with more metal working skills have a better idea how to do this? Sorry for the long winded post.

Steve in Maine