Need Help! cutting 1/4" keyway 1.5" thru 1" bore(couplings) using Matsuura MC-500V. any ideas?

Thread: cutting 1/4" keyway 1.5" thru 1" bore(couplings) using Matsuura MC-500V. any ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb cutting 1/4" keyway 1.5" thru 1" bore(couplings) using Matsuura MC-500V. any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cutting 1/4" keyway 1.5" thru 1" bore(couplings) using Matsuura MC-500V. any idea

Two options come to mind. You might be able to use a rotary broach, dunno if they will cut keyways. The other option would be to put a square tool bit in the chuck and turn the machine into a vertical shaper or jumping jack. Neither would be a good option IMHO.

You could do what I did and make a broach press with an 18 inch stroke. I built mine out of a cheap Chinese wood splitter. Makes quick work out of broaching holes and keyways.

Here is a picture of it rigged as a mini press brake, can't find the broaching pictures

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutting 1/4" keyway 1.5" thru 1" bore(couplings) using Matsuura MC-500V. any ideas?-img_0389-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cutting 1/4" keyway 1.5" thru 1" bore(couplings) using Matsuura MC-500V. any idea

What kind of mill? On my Fadal machines you can lock the spindle and use an insert like a vertical shaper. Imagine a boring bar that could hold your cutter. Then you just do a plunge then retract, then stepover, etc...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a bimonthly repeat job. Hoping for an insert or rigid tool. thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

One option is a CNC Single Point Keyway Broaching Tool for a 1/4" Keway x 1.5" Depth on a CNC Mill. Here is a 1/4" Keyway x 2" Max DOC x 3/4" Shank Diameter Keyway Broaching Tool designed to be run in a CNC Vertical Machining Center:
    https://www.toolhit.com/products/69116

Here is how to run it in a CNC Mill:
    A collet will hold the tool shank and provide timing orientation. With the spindle locked the broach can be brought in line with the pre-pared bore diameter and chamfer lead of the part to start broaching the keyway at a speed of 10-30 IPM at .003"-.005" depth of cut per pass. Use flood coolant for lubrication during cut. Once the initial process is achieved you can speed it up to 50-80 IPM. The in-feeding cycle is repeated until you get to the desired depth of the keyway. In a blind hole you need to remove chips by either prior trepanning at the bottom of the keyway area or a pre-drilled hole at the bottom of the keyway location. For a thru hole you can broach right thru but do not disengage the part.

Hopefully this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks!

Mike

www.toolhit.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like what I was thinking of. thanks