Newbie The right steel to machine 3-4mm steel rods on micro lathe for stop-motion armatures?

Thread: The right steel to machine 3-4mm steel rods on micro lathe for stop-motion armatures?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question The right steel to machine 3-4mm steel rods on micro lathe for stop-motion armatures?

Hi all!
    New here.
    I am starting making small stop motion armatures and purchased a Grizzly G0745 - 4" x 6" Micro Metal Lathe and some (being honest) cheap Chinese 8mm carbide tool bits(not inserts).
    The lathe goes up to a (said) 3800 RPM.

I've been trying out some 4mm ASTM-A228 Music-Wire with some 8mm carbide tool bits and well... I've learned ... that the whole thing from the rod to the lathe will run hot after awhile (mostly the rods).
    Not being to knowledgeable on types of steel, I purchased what a store I know for silicone sells.

After reading a little, it seems that I'd probably be better off grinding myself some HSS bits instead.
    I was looking to purchase Stress-proof 1144 steel but was wondering if I was going to the right direction.

I'm having issues turning the small rods to craft ball joint rods. I've had some balls blue out from the heat and (being honest) I've been having better lucky using small files to make the balls rather than carbide bits.
    The carbide seems to not be biting in the music wire and its faster and runs less hot to file down a ball shape.

All tips(or redirection) would be highly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The right steel to machine 3-4mm steel rods on micro lathe for stop-motion armatu

Quote Originally Posted by Shuh View Post
    Hi all!
    New here.
    I am starting making small stop motion armatures and purchased a Grizzly G0745 - 4" x 6" Micro Metal Lathe and some (being honest) cheap Chinese 8mm carbide tool bits(not inserts).
    The lathe goes up to a (said) 3800 RPM.

I've been trying out some 4mm ASTM-A228 Music-Wire with some 8mm carbide tool bits and well... I've learned ... that the whole thing from the rod to the lathe will run hot after awhile (mostly the rods).
    Not being to knowledgeable on types of steel, I purchased what a store I know for silicone sells.

After reading a little, it seems that I'd probably be better off grinding myself some HSS bits instead.
    I was looking to purchase Stress-proof 1144 steel but was wondering if I was going to the right direction.

I'm having issues turning the small rods to craft ball joint rods. I've had some balls blue out from the heat and (being honest) I've been having better lucky using small files to make the balls rather than carbide bits.
    The carbide seems to not be biting in the music wire and its faster and runs less hot to file down a ball shape.

All tips(or redirection) would be highly appreciated.
    Are you wanting steel that tough music wire, is a high carbon steel, and not easy for someone new to machine, is there a reason that you want to use these High Tensile steels, if not 303ss is a good one to machine if you just want mild steel then 12L14 is easy to machine

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: The right steel to machine 3-4mm steel rods on micro lathe for stop-motion armatu

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Are you wanting steel that tough music wire, is a high carbon steel, and not easy for someone new to machine, is there a reason that you want to use these High Tensile steels, if not 303ss is a good one to machine if you just want mild steel then 12L14 is easy to machine

it was what the store had and it really isn't ideal

Is 1144 stress-proof better? on many websites it says it is good for armatures

it needs to be strong and not bend . for things like the picture i linked
    Ill try the steels you mentioned

ideally id run on a lower RPM and with HSS bits

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The right steel to machine 3-4mm steel rods on micro lathe for stop-motion armatures?-the_art_and_making_of_paranorman__armature-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shuh View Post
    it was what the store had and it really isn't ideal

Is 1144 stress-proof better? on many websites it says it is good for armatures

it needs to be strong and not bend . for things like the picture i linked
    Ill try the steels you mentioned

ideally id run on a lower RPM and with HSS bits
    The 303ss would be best as it is free machining strong and won't rust, you can use your carbide even at 800 RPM it is fine to use, make sure the tool is on center with the work, and the chuck is running anticlockwise

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The 303ss would be best as it is free machining strong and won't rust, you can use your carbide even at 800 RPM it is fine to use, make sure the tool is on center with the work, and the chuck is running anticlockwise

<3 Ill give it a shot!

Thanks alot!