Drilling aluminum plate causing bubbles on backside

Thread: Drilling aluminum plate causing bubbles on backside

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drilling aluminum plate causing bubbles on backside

Anyone ever experienced this when drilling through aluminum?

This is on the backside. Been running at 5200 RPM, 1/8" thick, rapid out drilling with a 1/4" tool. Don't use any coolant (doing this on a cnc router) but I do have air blast on it. I managed to make a few good pieces but just broke a bit as the plate began to flex as the bubbles pushed on the my mdf board below. Could be a clamping issue, I am clamping on the corners and I definitely notice the plate flexing up and down as it drills. Or maybe peck drilling would help.

Bit isn't anything special (something from home depot I believe), but I had opened it new and ran 2 plates with it before this started happening.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drilling aluminum plate causing bubbles on backside-img_0339-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Drilling aluminum plate causing bubbles on backside

I would say speed too fast and no coolant would be the culprit otherwise blunt cutter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by InMesh View Post
    I would say speed too fast and no coolant would be the culprit otherwise blunt cutter.
    I found a HSS drill that is working much better now, cut a few plates already. Clamping down a little differently and apply a thin coat of cutting lube prior to every part, seems to halve solved the issue so far.

Downloads
    Uploads

Splendid Some times it's easier to use a drill because you have a finer point to start the cut with a slot mill the two cutting sides of the cutting head are level and trying to cut at the same time that can make down cutting a hole difficult ,I have just picked up things over many years .