What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?

Thread: What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?

Question What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?

Hello guys,

I'm new to metal milling, in January 2017 I purchased a Tormach PCNC 1100 to be able to mill steel cutting dies, I joined the CNC industry now 4 years ago when I purchased a CNC Router (900x600mm working area) since than I milled alot of policarbonate, MDF, aluminum and brass parts, in the last 2 years I used the router daily.

Now, after I learned the basics in Fusion360 software and I started to make the first parts in steel (1.2379 tool steel) I faced another problem (99% of the products I make are used in leather industry, to cut leather, by the steel supplier I was advised to buy this type of steel) the piece I purchased was about 200x100mm x 15mm thick, and I find quite time consumming to cut it before I mount it in the vise to start milling the part, for example, today I spent 38 minutes to cut a 83mm long part.

What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?-tool-steel-80mm-height-jpg What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?-cutting-tool-steel-jpg

The tool I used was an 1500w bench top band saw, I also used the emulsion from my router to cool the blade.

What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?-tool-used-cut-tool-steel-jpg

The blade/band I used was made in germany, you can see it in the photo bellow, I used the one with smaller tooths, as I was told to use that when the metal is not thick, and use the other one with less tooths when the steel I want to cut is larger.

What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?-band-metal-cutting-jpg

Now my question is what do you guys use to cut steel? You always buy the raw material to the perfect size? because I only do one part of each drawing, it's quite difficult to go each week to the steel supplier and ask for a part of 20x40mm .. or 50x90mm .. I don't know if he is willing to cut the steel to the size I want, I asked them today about the price of the cutting service.

I wished I could buy a tool that could cut steel quicker, and not spend a fortune for it .. I already invested quite a lot in the new Tormach mill with ATC.

Any advice's are welcome.

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?

You are doing it the best way. The only faster way is to buy a larger band saw. It takes time to cut steel. One thing that will help is to start cutting on the bandsaw, then work on something else while it is cutting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What tools do you use to cut steel in smaller pieces, before start milling it ?

One other option is to trade $$$ for time, most material suppliers will cut your material to rough size for a nominal cut fee.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You are doing it the best way. The only faster way is to buy a larger band saw. It takes time to cut steel. One thing that will help is to start cutting on the bandsaw, then work on something else while it is cutting.
    My bandsaw is manual, I have to hold it with my hand, can't do anything else while cutting with the bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by eman5oh View Post
    One other option is to trade $$$ for time, most material suppliers will cut your material to rough size for a nominal cut fee.
    I hope their cutting fee is not too high, I called them and sent an email with some parts I need, to see how much is their cutting fee. I seen very big machines, when I got the other material they ware cutting slices from a ~500mm cubical steel part .. that was huge, hope they have smaller machines and don't ask more than the material costs (it wasn't expensive)

Downloads
    Uploads

You could probably cut faster on a cold saw (a water-fed circular saw). But it doesn't seem that you're ready to invest in another expensive tool. A horizontal bandsaw will cut it eventually; it helps to use the right blade. The basic rule is that at least two teeth have to be engaged in the material at all times. But with material that's 15mm thick, that's not likely to be an issue; you can probably use a much coarser blade and still not break the rule. A bi-metal blade will work better in tool steel, and one with a harmonic tooth pattern will avoid resonance issues.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You could probably cut faster on a cold saw (a water-fed circular saw). But it doesn't seem that you're ready to invest in another expensive tool. A horizontal band-saw will cut it eventually; it helps to use the right blade. The basic rule is that at least two teeth have to be engaged in the material at all times. But with material that's 15mm thick, that's not likely to be an issue; you can probably use a much coarser blade and still not break the rule. A bi-metal blade will work better in tool steel, and one with a harmonic tooth pattern will avoid resonance issues.
    I googled now for "cold saw" and indeed the price is much higher I'm ok to pay for a new tool ($6500 for a manual operated Scotchman CPO 275 PK), but I found one band saw that has "automatic feed" and it's still cheap enough at €400 - €500, also found a video with it cutting 50mm steel round bar, I don't know what's the difference between construction steel S235JR and tools steel 1.2379, but in the video bellow that band-saw cuts the 50mm round stock quite fast, and automatically, this means I can do whatever I want in the mean time.

About the blade, in the photo I posted in my first post you can also see the blades I used, on the sticker it says bi-metal (don;t know what it means) and also about "harmonic tooth", do you mean to have different size tooth's on the same blade ? as both my blades are like this, the tooth size is different, some are smaller, some are bigger, on the blade with bigger tooth's it's easier to see that every 4 - 6 tooth , the size of them changes.

What do you guys think, is the Holzmann BS 128 a much better tool to cut tool steel ?

Or this one, it's even cheaper, when I started to cut my aluminum and brass stock with something like this I was impressed how fast I could cut a 40mm thick 7075 aluminum, but I never think I could cut steel with a circular saw - but different blade.

The saw is Evolution EVOSAW355 and "it is designed to cut steel, stainless-steel and aluminium without heat, burrs or coolant" (copied from the product description)

If anyone used the EVO circular blade, or can suggest which one should be better for tool steel ? I just cut another steel part on my bandsaw and it went much faster, the steel I cut in the video bellow is 1.1730 / C45 and compared to the other one (1.2379 - max 230 HB) I tried last week, this one is max 190 HB .. last week it took me 38 minutes to cut a 30% smaller part than this one, but a different alloy. I'm very new to metal working and I try to find the best solution for my needs.

This EVOSAW355 with circular blade, looks good and it will help me cutting other materials also, but I need to be with my hand on the handle all the time while cutting, on the other hand , the Holzmann bandsaw has automatic feed, so it will cut automatically, but don;t know which blade is better, which one last more.

PS. The steel supplier I work with told me he can't cut parts so small I want, they only have huge cutting machines, so either I should move to a new suplyer (I did contact a few) or I should buy a machine to be able to cut the parts myself.

Any more help is appreciated.

Thank you.