Suggestions for entry level tool? (see attached picture)

Thread: Suggestions for entry level tool? (see attached picture)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Suggestions for entry level tool? (see attached picture)

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to machining as well. I am a student of mechanical engineering and my father has finished it so we have a good background, but we have no machining experience whatsoever. I consider myself skilled in CAD, so at least that's covered. We are designing our own parts for our R/C car, but after a year of unprofessional experiences with local suppliers we have decided to start making our own parts, and get our own tools. My question is, what would you suggest for us to start with? We're looking at either a basic milling machine (which could later be upgraded to CNC) or a basic CNC. We are currently looking at a very basic level ($1500), however with possible serious plans for the future if our parts prove their worth. Used is OK as well. I have attached a picture of a part similar to the most complicated one we make, to get an idea of what has to be produced. Mostly small parts, for R/C cars.

Best regards

BTW the forum is really divided so please suggest if I should post in another section

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for entry level tool? (see attached picture)-chubw-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suggestions for entry level tool? (see attached picture)

That attached part could be made in a manual machine, but it would take a while to do it. Even on a CNC machine is would be at least three setup and a few tool changes.

You state your budget, but what size of machine would fit comfortably in your shop? I would be looking for a used machine that can be operated as a manual or CNC. Even a CNC with a dead controller. There are a number of older CNC machines around that are mechanically good, but have dead computers. That way you have all of the expensive mechanical/electrical hardware in place (ballscrews, servos, etc.) The computer/controller is the cheap part. I bought my machine for $1000 and it is a manual and CNC, and was in excellent mechanical condition, but the controller was dieing.

Just keep an eye on your local Craigslist and Ebay. Also, talk to people you run across that might have knowledge of machines that have been taken out of service and sitting back in a corner of a business somewhere.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I know it would take a long time, we have seen how the process on a manual mill looks like for our similiar part. We are aware of this, and currently time isn't an issue. However, longterm we'd like it to be a CNC mill. We would put it into a 25 m2 workshop, possibly with space left for other stuff in it. We would be working solely with aluminium and carbon fibre (only cutting), which if am not mistaken depends only on a good diamond drill bit and rotating speed. Could you suggest some tools, simply to start searching in some direction?

Thanks in advance

Downloads
    Uploads

Knowing CAD, generally, knowing CAM, generally and knowing a specific CAM package are very very different beasts. You'll end up spending a hell of a lot of time in front of a computer. And father/son bonding time will include an awful lot of bad language

For those materials you have a choice to make:
    1. Router. Typically they'll come already set up for CNC. Larger work area without much height to them, lighter weight and lighter duty. Better ones equipped with linear bearings and decent leadscrews will do aluminium and CF but will struggle for any precision on anything harder.
    2. Mill. Manual or CNC (or possibly even halfway with DRO and power feeds). Tend to be heavier machines with a smaller work area but they'll cut other stuff too and with greater precision than a router because the geometry and weight of the things allows greater stiffness of the frame and dovetail or box ways instead of linear bearings allow much greater cutting forces.

For RC parts the work envelope of either will do. In Australian dollars, my OmioCNC router cost about $4k delivered. My SIEG X2 manual mill cost about $1000 (I picked it up from a local machinery shop). I turn to the SIEG for quick manual drilling, facing etc operations or anything on steel, otherwise it goes through the router. If I had my time again I'd probably go something a little bigger, like one of the Optimums or a G0704 or similar and there's plenty of information here on how to CNC them. Expect that exercise to cost you a couple of grand.

FWIW I made the decision to get a router that did CNC out of the box without a months or years long conversion project so I could get a handle on the whole CAM and CNC thing without also fighting my gear, and I'm glad I did that. Next step will probably be a larger machine, possibly a knee mill, and a CNC conversion project around that. But I've not encountered any jobs that need that jump yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Given the size of your shop, I think a bench mill would be the best. Maybe something like the Rong Fu 45, a popular small mill. There are kits available for them to convert to CNC later. There should be a number of them on the used market, and there are distributors all over the world.

Suggestions for entry level tool? (see attached picture)-image510-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

My router, manual mill, lathe, drill press, bandsaw, compressors, grinders, sanders etc all fit in a 35m2 workshop with plenty of room left for other things. I reckon I could get a smaller knee mill in there.

One thing I'd mention re the benchtop mills or routers: you are probably better off making a separate little table for them. A few reasons. First, they throw crap everywhere - so an acrylic enclosure IMO is a must unless you love sweeping and vacuuming afterwards. Second, you want to be able to run coolant and have a means to contain that with a tray. Third, isolating any vibration from everything else on the bench is handy. Fourth, you're going to end up with a bunch of tooling, vices and accessories and having a few drawers under the unit is convenient for keeping these out of the way but close to hand.

Just a thought.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all your replies, you have been very helpful! After much research I've found the RF-25 and the small Proxxon MF-70 to be to my liking, to start with. The MF-70 could be locally available, full CNC, which would be great to start with, Will continue looking for used stuff around