Lathe Spinde runout . Is 0.0005" too bad?

Thread: Lathe Spinde runout . Is 0.0005" too bad?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lathe Spinde runout . Is 0.0005" too bad?

Hi All
    I just scored this almost brand new AL-336D lathe for an amazing price.

I hired a crane to pickup and deliver my machine. The dude insisted and we ended up lifting by the spindle / bed webbing.

I didn't have time to remove the DRO and didn't want to damage the scales... There is no lifting point in those lathes at all...

Compared to an AL960 from Taiwan, the quality of my lathe is a joke, but for the price...

Please let me know if I have too much runout.

Also do you think the fact that we lifted by the spindle could have damaged the spindle / bearings?

Thanks guys!!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Aledantas2k16; 02-21-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lathe Spinde runout . Is 0.0005" too bad?

You are not measuring spindle runout with that setup. You are measuring chuck body runout, which is well within reason, and has no effect at all on your parts. To measure spindle runout, you have to remove the chuck, and measure the spindle nose.

Lifting the lathe by the spindle is not a bad thing, more than adequate strength in that area, at least on smaller lathes. I normally lift by put a strap through the hole in the bed then use a 2x4 as a cross piece.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You are not measuring spindle runout with that setup. You are measuring chuck body runout, which is well within reason, and has no effect at all on your parts. To measure spindle runout, you have to remove the chuck, and measure the spindle nose.

Lifting the lathe by the spindle is not a bad thing, more than adequate strength in that area, at least on smaller lathes. I normally lift by put a strap through the hole in the bed then use a 2x4 as a cross piece.
    Thanks Jim

I ll remove the chuck and check the spindle Tonight.

The guy lifted through the hole first then the spindle came 2nd. It was a 15 degrees angle... Didnt pull both at the same time.

Well I guess those lathes arent that heavy

Cheers
    Alex