Hello smart folks on CNCz,
Im doing a demo and would like to do it out of 303 stainless. I need to run the speed as high as possible to hit my target cycle time. A speed of about 800 SFM is what I calculate need to hit cycle time, but this is pretty hot for most tools I am looking at. I will be using Iscar's grade IC908 in a multifunction Drill/Bore tool. I'll drill a 1.25" hole .120 deep, leaving .005 for a finish pass, and then bore out to a 3.2" diameter. Same thing on the back side, but only .093 total depth of cut. The tool and work holding will be quite rigid.

So, what's the fastest you've successfully run 303? I made a lot of 303 parts, but mostly smaller stuff that I was RPM limited, not SFM limited.

Also, if I can only do 600 sfm on the high side (per Iscar's recommendations), do you think I could get away with 800-900 on the .005" finish pass? I'm not looking for a ton of tool life, at most I need like 4 hours so I will sacrafice tool life for cycle time happily, as long as I'm not getting catastrophic insert failures.

ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - Multifunction Tools
ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - DR-MF-I-2.25D : 3202370 - DR-MF-I-25R-2.25D-125A-13

Thanks for any thoughts