Newbie cutting threads near shoulder - source for cutting tool?

Thread: Newbie cutting threads near shoulder - source for cutting tool?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie cutting threads near shoulder - source for cutting tool?

I am looking at threading a shaft to near a shoulder so need a tool that has an offset point. Saw something about triangular carbide inserts made with thread cutting nubs (indexable I think is the term for them) that looked like just the thing for that but am a bit lost in all the various sizes, etc. Shaft is stainless and carbide seemed like a good choice but I could be wrong. I am not going to be doing a lot of this so looking for a decent quality, moderate cost tool. Maybe I am not using the right words when I search but I am not getting far. Any suggestions? Thread is 7/16 - 20.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie cutting threads near shoulder - source for cutting tool?

Downloads
    Uploads

For only a few parts, I would get some M42 cobalt blanks and hand grind them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Haven't tackled this yet but have a few more questions. The suggestion to hand grind blanks seemed like a good route but then I found ER4 offset threading tools. Since I haven't ground tools before (guess I should learn but that's another discussion about what type wheel is needed, etc.) and the distance to the shoulder at the end of thread is 0.1" a 1/4" ER4 tool should have room - although more is better of course. If I hand grind I can put the point farther offset which is a clear plus. But the cost of the blank is not that much different that the cost of a decent (made in USA, not the lowest cost) ER4. What are the pros and cons of ground blank vs. small offset carbide tool? And what about grade of carbide tip? Tool I am looking at is C5.