Linley Jig Bore - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linley Jig Bore

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    Well that caught my eye, Mostly I would spend more than $500 on a rotary where as the one I found for $268 would mostly meet my present needs How many real amps should the invertor kick out?Is there any advange of getting one with more amps so it could be switch between machines?
    you could do something like this ...puts out 24 amps(7.5hp rated) and probably won't go over $150 used.

I personally like to use 1 vfd per machine due to programing. I currently have 1/2hp, 1hp, 2hp, and a 7.5hp VFDs under my desk right now waiting to get finished into projects. I have around $250-300 in the set. the 3 small ones(combined) take up the space of a sheet of paper and the 7.5 is about a sheet and 1/2 by itself(older unit).

Downloads
    Uploads

what do you think about this type of a set up http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41952 twice I bought used on ebay and was burned twice

Downloads
    Uploads

I hate to see anyone get burned. Mike have you tried Enco?
    As a Note when you get the enco prices for what you want call MSC and tell them what the Enco price is. They will more than likely match the price for the same product. Enco is Owned by MSC You'll be getting new so if it doesn't work you can return it.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=297-3801

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

not a bad deal for one of those and they claim the 'cnc ready' on their stuff

I know it sucks to get burned on ebay or anywhere else. Guess I'm lucky, only time I have been burned on ebay was for a set of NEW car wheels, not used electronics...

Downloads
    Uploads

Think I'll give them a call Thanks for your help 70Cyclone

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 70cyclone
    1. just program it to always run 60hz and just have forward/stop/reverse hooked up. then it just runs at whatever the motor is wound for. (ie 1750rpm)

2. set it up with a pot and be able to vary the speed from 0 to whatever max out is for the drive(ie 240hz) this is nice because on drill presses and such you don't have to change the belt for different spindle speeds.
    With a standard motor the maximum advisable frequency would be 120hz if its a 4 pole motor or 60hz if 2 pole.
    If this motor is 2 pole and you were to run it at 240 hz (14,400rpm), it would probabally disintegrate .
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    With a standard motor the maximum advisable frequency would be 120hz if its a 4 pole motor or 60hz if 2 pole.
    If this motor is 2 pole and you were to run it at 240 hz (14,400rpm), it would probabally disintegrate .
    Al.
    true enough...can be fun to toast some old motors at 400hz though

Downloads
    Uploads

Al I think my question at this time is,What size rotary phase convertor would be good to buy at this time, option 1-VFD invertor for just this machine (new) or option 2 spend a little more and get a rotary phase convertor for this machine and maybe 1 or 2 more down the road I'm looking at this one now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41952

Downloads
    Uploads

I made a 7.5hp from a used 230v 4 pole motor for around $220. (see some previous posts).
    It depends on if you want the variable speed option, if looking for fixed speeds for more than one machine, then the RPC may be the best.
    A VFD will give you speed control, obviously.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    I made a 7.5hp from a used 230v 4 pole motor for around $220.
    Al.
    Al you could make one out of a soupcan and some wire I bet
    I would not know a 4 pole from a 2 pole from a tadpole. I Think that a RPC might be worth the money. anything I might add can be hook up as for the Linley it's only light duty mill at best so pulley changes are not that big of a deal Thanks all for your time Let see what happen to this little guy Linley

Last edited by lakeside; 08-13-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    ......Thanks all for your time Let see what happen to this little guy Linley
    All day I have kept looking at your pictures and reading the posts. Obviously you need to make a decision. If you are like me you do not like making decisions so I have a suggestion to take all the worry of your shoulders.

You paid $200 four years ago, you took some time to cover it in grease for storage and then you cleaned it up. I think 3 hours is a generous guess for the time you spent greasing it and cleaning it and at $50 per hour that is $150. If you had left the $200 sitting in the bank it might have earned $10 in interest over four years; so your investment in this machine is $210 plus $150 for a total of $360. I am a generous fellow and I think you deserve to double your money! Therefore to save you all the worry about phase converters, and VFDs I will buy this little fellow from you for $720

P.S. You have probably figured out I am joking; you are right, I don't expect you want to sell it. But if you do .................

Downloads
    Uploads

The humor here is the number two reason for visiting. Thanks for keeping it real Geof

BTW; Mike, this is an example of a useless post. Geofs' is just plain funny and I could not resist posting this.

It's bad enough to interupt a thread but in my interuption I made a mistake in the post DUH

Last edited by tobyaxis; 08-14-2006 at 01:12 AM.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Geof by the time you add shipping to Canada of about 1k it would still be a buy. You are right about one thing I had to do is making decisions The dam phase convertor and shipping will be more than I paid for the machine..My wife has be complaining about it for 4 year it sat out back. If she even find out how much I'm going to spend to power it, she will flip.But she dose not need to know everything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike have you found collets and tool holders for your Jig Bore yet?

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Think I going to have to have holder made.
    Bit I did have quit a talk about RPC vs. VFD. Armed with all the new info. from you guys. here where it at
    Mike,

Thank you for your telephone call today. Here is the information you
    requested:

3HP All Purpose/CNC/Heavy Duty Rotary Phase Converter $ 345.00
    Shipping via FedEx or UPS $ 75.00

This phase converter includes:
    -CNC precision voltage balancing
    -built in starter
    -soft start
    -custom made idler motor by Baldor
    -24/7 customer and technical support
    -24 month warranty
    -simple installation
    -quiet operation

More information is available at our website: www.americanrotary.com

L200-007NFU Hitachi VFD $ 215.00
    or
    SJ200-007NFU Hitachi VFD $ 276.00

Hitachi website is: www.hitachi.us/inverters

Please call or email me if you need any additional information.

Thanks again,

Jay
    Yuergens
    Application/Support Engineer
    www.AmericanRotary.com
    Toll-Free: 888-743-6832
    phone: 262-268-7014
    fax: 262-268-7015

******** Disclaimer ********

To ensure compliance with National Electric Codes, and local codes, we are
    required to inform you that any advice concerning N.E.C. and local codes
    contained in this email (including attachments) is not intended or written
    to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of compliance to these
    codes and was not written to support the promotion or marketing of any
    transaction or matter discussed herein.

Downloads
    Uploads

The point Jay made to me over the phone was when selecting a rotary phase converter to be on the safe side take the motor HP x 2 =RPC HP size (for hard start like lathes without clutch)

Last edited by lakeside; 08-19-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

anybody ever cnc a linley? Im thinking of it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    anybody ever cnc a linley? Im thinking of it
    Hi.
    I am new to cnczone and don't know all the ins and outs.

I have UK version of the Linley which is called an Elliot MK2. Check on the link http://www.lathes.co.uk/elliott%20mini%20jig/ to confirm if it is the same machine.

I have only just started and am just working on the "y axis". Progress will be slow as I am still in full time employment and thus only get odd evenings and a few hours at weekends.

I have made a new block and bearing unit for the Y axis, together with a new block to fit the ball screw nut. I am just assembling this and hope this will act as a learning curve for the other 2 axis.

One issue is the x-axis as there is not a lot of space and I will have to use smaller Ball Screws than I would have liked. For ease of manufacturer I have opted to use flange ball nuts rather than threaded. Threaded ball nuts only seem available over here with metric threads such as M26 and I didn't fancy buying a die this size or cutting an internal thread using my lathe.

For the Z axis, I am thinking of using the whole movement of the head rather than trying to modify the quill feed which I will lock in position. The head seems well counter- balanced and does not seem to have any inclanation to move up or down or its own accord. This may change when I add the stepper motor to it.

Finally I am thinking of using Mach 3 software.

I have produced some drawings on TurboCad - which I am also learning at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lakeside, I don't know wear you're at with your Linley project but, seeing the Linley name on the forum listing caught my eye so I'll give you my two cents worth if you like.
    I have a very late modle Mark 1A, by the serial # it was probably made in the last year or two befor they stoped production. I have been in the prosess of repairing/restoring it for a little over a year (little bit here and there as time alows)
    It was given to me by a friend who baught it from HGR Indusrial Surplus in Ohio.
    It was sent a few hundred miles to his place in NE Wisconsin by FedEx Ground.
    Apparently when the driver left HGR in Ohio the machine must have fallen over on its pallet and rolled around in the back of the semi all the way here.
    As a teatiment to the strength of the machine nothing more than a hand wheel was broke and only a few more things were bent.
    The scratches and gouges in the piant are painfull to look at and most of them go right through the body filler (used by the maker to give a nice smooth appearence) down to the bare casting.
    Long story short, she's comine along nicely and I expect to start using it this winter.
    I guess in the long run FedEx was not the cheapest way to go.
    As to the Phase converter issue. In my basement shop I have nothing bigger than 1.5 hp dual speed motor on my Harding horizontal mill and I have three of the five machines that require three phase power everything else is 220 single phase.
    I built a rotary phase converter using a 3hp three phase idler motor and a static phase converter rated at 5hp max.
    My converter simply starts the idler motor and is then taken out of the loop and the machines are run on the 3 phase that is produced by the still running idler.
    The whole thing cost around $200. to put together and I can run any number of motors from it at a time (within reason I'm sure) so long as I start the bigest motor first (spindle motor then feed motor then coolant pump if so equiped )
    In my case I am the only one useing the machines so I don't worry about stalling out a running motor by turning on a bigger one on another machine.
    As I understand it you could just hook a static phase converter to each machine that needs it but you don't get full power as with the rotary modle.
    So far I'm very happy with my set up and when I want to add another 3 phase machine to the throng I pull it off a buss bar in the three buss distrobution box I salvaged from a company I used to work for.
    BTW I would not be tempted to try and covert your machine to CNC. Take Geof up on his offer and put that towordes a Bridgport CNC if that is what you're looking for. The Linely is just not designed to be a CNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Linley Jig Bore

Did you complete the Elliot CNC conversion? Very interested as I have the same machine and hope to convert it too.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12