Need Help! How was this inside chamfer made? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How was this inside chamfer made?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How was this inside chamfer made?

You are both arguing semantics. It can be done either way, but like I mentioned, neither is as easy as it might seem at first glance. It can be machined in 3D format using various tools. Long cycle time for some mills.
    It can be made from standard billet and then the beveled profiles mitered and epoxied in place. Much shorter machine time.
    And it can be cast.
    For a one off with some hand finishing, 3D machining and finishing with a mill drill and a tiny ball end mill might be the easiest and cheapest. Isn't that the results that the OP requested?

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    You are both arguing semantics. It can be done either way, but like I mentioned, neither is as easy as it might seem at first glance. It can be machined in 3D format using various tools. Long cycle time for some mills.
    It can be made from standard billet and then the beveled profiles mitered and epoxied in place. Much shorter machine time.
    And it can be cast.
    For a one off with some hand finishing, 3D machining and finishing with a mill drill and a tiny ball end mill might be the easiest and cheapest. Isn't that the results that the OP requested?
    semantics? err. no.

the OP asked how THEY made it. He is arguing that the piece is a die cast off the shelf part. it is not. it is a hand machined part from the ILM prop shop. milled, filed, ground, bondo'd, painted. they didn't have cnc, or edm, or die casting. actually im shocked its even made of metal.

how the OP goes about making his OWN? that's easy. you can cnc it very easily with tapered ball end mills or using a v-carving strategy..

Last edited by ger21; 07-08-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Semantics.Er yes. You are both using each others words with your own interpretations of what the other meant. Both positions have validity. What needs work is tactful presentation in a debate.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

arguing semantics means we are both saying the same thing different ways. that's exactly the opposite of whats going on.

I gave up on polite debate years ago. ive got him on ignore actually, but occasionally his presence interferes with my day.

Last edited by ger21; 07-08-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You both are arguing different ways of achieving the same thing. Not precisely semantics unless you are a third party reading it.

Lee

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I gave up already. Semantics or not. You just can't be right for some people. My take, it was machined.(period).

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Er..... Maybe a Bridgeport manual mill with a "cherrying" head or shaper attachment???

Dick Z

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    Er..... Maybe a Bridgeport manual mill with a "cherrying" head or shaper attachment???

Dick Z
    what is that? pics?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    what is that? pics?
    There were many different Heads made for Bridgeport & other manual mill, the Cherrying head would not do it, But the Shaper Head would do it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was this inside chamfer made?-cheerying-head-png   How was this inside chamfer made?-bridgeport-slotting-head-png  
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow a little bit of drama! I do believe it was milled on a manual milling machine but not die cast.

It's not ILM but Don Pennington. IMDB.com him. I do have his email and will ask him soon. I think there could have been some hand finishing for the sharp edges or tiny ball end mills etc.

I'm about 90% sure it was not "off the shelf". No real buttons, just leds behind a plastic sheet. It looks like a membrane switch but nope. Thanks for all the info, I will post an update real soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12