How did you learn the Machinist trade? - Page 10

View Poll Results: How did you learn the Machinist trade?

Voters
800. You may not vote on this poll
  • On the job training

189 23.63%
  • From a family member

45 5.63%
  • Apprenticeship program

133 16.63%
  • Vocational Tech School

167 20.88%
  • Self taught

251 31.38%
  • Military training

15 1.88%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: How did you learn the Machinist trade?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have learned through the proper course which is based on 8000 hours along with onsite practical training. Now enjoying my life!

Downloads
    Uploads

I am doing machining when i was in college and become a proper millwright after completing my 4 years of degree.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How did you learn the Machinist trade?

Learned in college and the first job in a factory.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Took Metal Shop for 4 years in High school.
    Joined the Navy in 1977. When looking at job fields I saw Machinist, However a Machinist Mate in the Navy works on steam plants. I did see a field for Machinery Repairman which is a Machinist and signed up for that. After Boot Camp went to a 12 week school in San Diego. First 2 weeks was hand tools, drill presses, and grinding tool bits. Next 6 weeks was lathes. Then 2 weeks of Milling and the last 2 weeks doing repair type work. Spent time on 3 different Repair Ships with large Machine Shops. Went to an Advanced Navy School in 1984. 18 Weeks of Precision Grinding, Turret Lathes, and advanced Milling. Toward the end of My Naval Career in the late 90's did I do any CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I got into it in my twenties, always had a love for anything mechanical and machine parts, I got into RC model boats that I needed hardware for, bought a 6" Atlas, and a converted drill press was my mill and progressed from there. Worked as a mechanic, welder, machinist in a dairy for 20 years, and worked for myself for another 20 years welding and machine shop, retired and now am doing cnc work, self taught cad cam etc., 75 and still going and still love it and it keeps me in the shop, not in front of the TV!
    I found this one while reading posts, I am still machining at 81 years old still love it.

mike sr

In the penultimate grade of schooll (I was 16 then) I started working in the laboratory of the university, where I made a project for further admission.
    I started by working at a lathe, which was 2 times older than me Then I was milling, circular grinding, surface grinding, wire-EDM, thread grinding, gear hobbing. And finally, a modernized CNC milling machine, which is 3 years older than me. Over the course of a year, I was able to do a little bit of work on almost all basic equipment.
    Studying at the university lasted until the first exams, after which my studies ended ingloriously))))) I stayed to work at my department as a technician, prepared laboratory work and did my own projects, I was a little able to make parts to order.
    I still work a little at the university, the academic environment is a very exciting thing.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910