How to remove finishes off aluminum can? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to remove finishes off aluminum can?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beone View Post
    Get several 5 gallon buckets ,metal with lids. First one has paint stripper, make sure it's safe for al. That should take off most of the lacquer etc. next bucket is lacquer thinner or acetone or mek. Next bucket the same. Next the same. It may take several days in each bucket. But with enough buckets, always moving to a cleaner solution you should end up with a clean al product.
    Dave
    I may try something like this. The issue again is how to dispose of the chemicals used for this, and have noxious chemicals in my studio (that I also do other projects in) for however long it takes to process ~1000 cans.

Also, with a bucket of acetone, won't the acetone evaporate quickly? If so, I'm not sure how the cans could sit in the buckets for several days.

And what is Mek? Perhaps that's a googlable question.

I also am not sure what if any chemical can dissolve the vinyl coating on the inside of the cans—I don't think I ever came across anything in my research.

All that being said, I could see this type of process being viable, especially if you consider the somewhat arduous process I spoke about in the previous post. I could see a set up with large metal trash cans, each one with a different dilution of a chemical, as you said, and letting them soak and stirring them occasionally. Again though, the fumes in my studio would be horrendous I imagine, and with something like acetone I would think this would fill the air in the studio with flammable fumes. My other concern with this is disposing of the chemicals after using them.

Thanks for the input,
    Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

That's why you want the lids
    Dave

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Downloads
    Uploads

MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It's incredibly nasty stuff, but it's the basis of most commercial paint-strippers. It's really nothing you want to have big buckets of in your studio. Any chemicals that will remove the coatings from aluminum cans are going to be similarly toxic - acetone is about the most benign of them, and it's not exactly health food. The flammability issues alone should be enough to dissuade you from this approach.

So you're down to physical methods of removing the coatings. It seems like all possible methods are so labor-intensive as to make this economically unfeasible, but as you seem to be on some kind of mission that doesn't involve pecuniary considerations, let's look at them. You can try to scrape it off, grind it off, burn it off, or blast it off. Scraping or grinding won't work on metal that thin, and burning would generate a lot of toxic fumes you don't seem keen on. Abrasive blasting seems like the only alternative that might work to some degree. (By the way, you never want to "sandblast" using actual silica sand, even "play sand" in an open environment. This can cause an acute form of silicosis that will kill you along with any innocent bystanders in short order.) At 3 minutes per can, that seems like a lot of work. With a more adequate setup you might get a little faster, though. You need a compressor that will put out 100 PSI continuously, and an enclosed blasting cabinet that will recycle your abrasive media. Still, the cans will suffer some distortion from the blasting pressure, and will probably have a somewhat pitted texture. They also will still have the plastic liner on the inside. I doubt this is compatible with the anodizing process, but you should be able to find out by setting up the anodizing process yourself and testing it. (As was pointed out, it's doubtful that a commercial anodizer will let you run these things through their baths). Here's a link to a DIY anodizing system: Anodizing Kits - Anodizing Products - Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc

So you're up to about $3500 to set this up - $2000 for the compressor, $1000 for the sandblaster, and $500 for the anodizing kit. People have tried to tell you that this whole venture doesn't make sense economically speaking, but they were taking the long view. What you have to decide is whether it really makes sense for you to lay out that kind of money in the short term to find out whether this is going to work.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know what he's doing with the cans but if I had to hazard a guess I would say he's making a sculpture or some similar type of artwork. Another assumption is the fact that the cans were used has something to do with the meaning and or composition of the piece or pieces. I believe art and personal meaning would be the only thing that would make something like this worth the time and effort. I could also be way of base. It wouldn't be the first time.

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I would try to sweep the sand out of the desert before I took on a project like this. Both about as fruitful outcome wise.
    Since the methods mentioned are out and no budget concerns, then I suggest you build a machine that will feed them through like a washing machine wringer and shave off both sides simultaneously.
    I am actually designing a small machine myself to do similar, but instead of any shaving, it will be putting a finish on flat stainless steel parts one side at a time.
    Mine will be a simple moving tray operated manually.

Your machine could shave, sand, apply stripper and then remove it etc. Could be as elaborate as needed. Personally though, rolled sheet aluminum would be the way to go. I think you can even get it already anodized.

I am curious too that if it is not a business endeavor and there will be no real product for sale, why the tight lips about it? You obviously don't mind speaking your mind.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Art.

A lazy man does it twice.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

TROLL

DZASTR

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    I don't know what he's doing with the cans but if I had to hazard a guess I would say he's making a sculpture or some similar type of artwork. Another assumption is the fact that the cans were used has something to do with the meaning and or composition of the piece or pieces. I believe art and personal meaning would be the only thing that would make something like this worth the time and effort. I could also be way of base. It wouldn't be the first time.

Ben
    It does seem purposeful seeing as he stated he will be buying the 10000 cans. So I think your assessment of art might be right.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to remove finishes off aluminum can?

I know this is an old post, but I just found a solution and thought I would post it in case somebody else is looking for a way.

Put a 1/4 cup of water in a pressure cooker. Put as many (empty) cans as you need or will fit. Steam them (on medium) for 20 minutes. Acetone, which won't touch the paint before, will take it right off after pressure cooking. Leaves a nice shiny surface.

Obligatory public safety warning: If you don't know how to use a pressure cooker safely, ask your wife or your mom. They can be very dangerous if not used correctly.

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12