Want to Upgrade/Expand Memory on 1993 Fanuc Robodrill HELP!!!

Thread: Want to Upgrade/Expand Memory on 1993 Fanuc Robodrill HELP!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Want to Upgrade/Expand Memory on 1993 Fanuc Robodrill HELP!!!

We recently purchased a '93 Fanuc Robodrill t-10A. We are using it for a lot of parts that require engraving and the engraving programs are too big for the memory in the machine. Does anyone know what is the best way to expand the memory space on this machine? Any experiences good or bad? Is there any way to set it up with a USB socket and just use a thumb drive for mastercam/NC files and load them from that?

Any help is appreciated!

Rick

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by celtsrp33 View Post
    We recently purchased a '93 Fanuc Robodrill t-10A. We are using it for a lot of parts that require engraving and the engraving programs are too big for the memory in the machine. Does anyone know what is the best way to expand the memory space on this machine? Any experiences good or bad? Is there any way to set it up with a USB socket and just use a thumb drive for mastercam/NC files and load them from that?

Any help is appreciated!

Rick
    I know nothing about that machine or controller but honestly I'd upgrade to some sort of PC based control that would completely do away with your memory issue. Basically you have a 20 year old controller there. You could shop around and find out what options where originally available for the machine, but being a 20 year old machine I doubt they had a memory option big enough for your needs.

By the way this is likely to be a non trivial upgrade if you go the PC based control route. It might make sense to contract the upgrade out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Back In the day, i expanded the memory in all of our late 80's/90's fanuc machines. It was pretty simple to do even back then. Basically just needed to add/replace a few chips. If I remember correctly, we could expand 32k and 56k machines clear up to a whooping 512k. Life was good. I don't remember the name of the company that we used to get the memory chips from, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find.

Downloads
    Uploads

You sorta bring up a good question, before going to far the original poster should get a handle on fies size. Engraving type usage could mean anything from kilobytes to multiple megabytes.

Quote Originally Posted by moriboy1 View Post
    Back In the day, i expanded the memory in all of our late 80's/90's fanuc machines. It was pretty simple to do even back then. Basically just needed to add/replace a few chips. If I remember correctly, we could expand 32k and 56k machines clear up to a whooping 512k. Life was good. I don't remember the name of the company that we used to get the memory chips from, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find.
    You would be surprised at how hard it is to find technology from all those years ago. Yes I know it is only twenty years or so but we run into all sorts of replacement / repair issues with old drives and comtrollers at work. Sometimes you are forced into upgrades or new technology.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try searching for a company called memex. That is who we used when we upgraded our machines.