Routing Printed ALU-Sheets problem

Thread: Routing Printed ALU-Sheets problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Routing Printed ALU-Sheets problem

Hi from Sweden!

I´m working for a SignStudio that is having a really hard time getting a printer and a router machine "shakin' hands" in the process of making aluminiumSigns.

We have a production-line that looks like this/

Step 1. An OCE 550xt flatbed printer with 257ink that is printing all our material. Aluminium, PVC, Axpet-plastic, Forex-pvc, etc.

Step 2. Laminating all the prints on aluminium with an UV-resistant laminating film that is in the biggest part made of a very thin pvc-film with adhesive.

Step 3. My step, I'm using an Multicam 3000 CNC-router to process all of these diffrent sheet-types. Using a 4mm Single Flute End Mill, with air-/ and watercooling, for my aluminium cutting. The router has an vaccum-table.

Now to our headache...

In the case of our "aluminium-laminate-router"-situation we are kind of stuck! The problem is that our ink isn't sticking to our aluminium sheets in the process of milling it. We are using 3003 Alu H24 that is processed with an white coating on top (from our dealer). The aluminium on itself is now an friend of my...(after much swearing and tool orders) I think I found the right sweetspot with my feeds and speeds.

But the biggest problem now is that the ink is flaking and chipping when it is bleed into my routing-path. The edge of the finished product/sign is often "textbook" but that does not save the paint from flaking. Almost all our alu-signs is laminated with this laminating film to keep the UV-rays away from destroying the printed signs. This make the "flaking,chipping" problem even worse. If there isn't a routerplan for me to go through any printed parts the laminating film cuts of nicely with the aluminium. But if there a sign thats i fully bleed with print and my routing plan goes through this ink/laminating-mixture there is immidiate problem. The laminatingfilm and the ink gets like "smeared" together and becomes like one united material and is suddenly stops sticking to the aluminium. (think of it like you pulling of a sticker). Thanks to this I can't get a nice clean cut of the laminating film because of the rigidty that is comprimised of the ink that is letting go. We tried diBond today that the sale-adverts says is made for printing and we're cutting with the same process, print, laminated, router and it works perfect. The print is sticking, the cut of the film is perfect and no signs of these problems that the alu gives us. Our printteam tried with diffrent ink adhesives and silicone removers but with no success on the alu.

So now I'm reaching out to you guys that hopefully can save my and my co-workers daily headache.

Have anyone experienced this exact problem or a similiar one? We are suspecting that our alusheets isn't having the right surface for our ink or if it's to "glossy" so the paint isn't sticking.

If any of you is using a router for an similiar production what kind of routing bits are you using? I'm using an coated single flute end mill with an up-cut for my daily driver. I tried two diffrent down-cutters to but these only caused me "welding". What are you guys using? The aluminium that we are cutting is standard 1,5mm and I mostly go for a single pass. Sometimes two depending on vacuum zones and the size of signs.

Any tips on a good sheet material? brand? paint? clearcoat?

I'm in use for every tip I can get!! Our technicians aren't the best haha

Hope you guys got something understood from this diffuse "swenglish" text...

Best regards from a snowy Sweden

/J