Ideal paint for machining?

Thread: Ideal paint for machining?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ideal paint for machining?

I've designed an insert for holding router bits, shown below. This concept is made from 25mm thick baltic birch plywood, with a layer of green paint that is applied before the platforms are cut on a CNC machine.

Question 1: What is the ideal paint to use in this application? I'd like to avoid any chipping or tearing, if possible. The router bit that will be used here will likely be a 5/16" end mill spiral-down bit (I found this resulted in zero tearout, but haven't tested it on a painted substrate). It would be great if the paint could be sprayed with my Apollo HVLP three-stage turbine system.

Question 2: Pricing might be prohibitive here, but I'd like to look into alternatives to baltic birch plywood. I'm wondering if there are any good solutions for composite alternatives, also available in ~25mm thickness, that have similar machining characteristics to plywood but would be stronger over time.

Thanks!

Ryan