Build Thread No Fog Mist Coolant

Thread: No Fog Mist Coolant

Downloads
    Uploads

Default No Fog Mist Coolant

This seemed to be the best place to put this, if not, mods please move it.

Under certain conditions it is desirable to blast the chips away from the cutter. A high pressure flood system works well, but a low pressure system is marginal at best. If you don't have high pressure capability or your machine is not equipped for handling a flood coolant system then a mister system is the only real choice. The problem with the mister is that most of the commercial systems use a syphon to induct the coolant into the air stream. This requires a balance between the air flow and the fluid stream with very limited adjustment range.

I solved the problem by making my own no fog system with a pressurized fluid delivery system with independently adjustable air and fluid flow. I can adjust the airflow up to whatever air comes out of the nozzle at shop air pressure (140 PSI), and it will still deliver a set amount of fluid per minute in the range of 0 to flood. I built a peristaltic pump for the fluid delivery and use a stepper motor to drive it. You can also buy stepper powered peristaltic pumps on ebay for cheap. I have it under full computer control, but it could be a separate controller. You can set the airflow hard enough to blast the chips out of a slot, and still deliver the proper amount (minimum required amount) of coolant to the tool bit.

I built my own peristaltic pump head and married it to a 15:1 stepper gear motor I picked up off of ebay for $60. There is another way to do this that does not use a pump and I'll address that later.

I'm not going to bore you with all of the machining that went into the pump head, you've seen chips before.

The airflow is manually adjusted with the flow control, the fluid flow is adjusted by the pump speed. ON/OFF is under G-code or manual control, fluid flow is under manual control via a slider on the computer screen that controls the rev/sec of the stepper motor.

Here is the basic layout.

The 1/8 inch nylon tube passes through the Tee, the compression fitting was drilled out to allow the tube to pass through. The farrell still crimps OK, doesn't take much to hold it anyway.

The coolant tank.

This is the 20 LB pressure sand blaster tank from Harbor Freight. Has a nice large screw top opening for refilling. Holds about 3 gallons of coolant, enough for weeks of running at my normal machine use rate.

I normally use about a quart of coolant in 8 hours of spindle time.

I pressurize the tank to about 10 PSI just to have positive flow to the pump. The tank pressure is controlled by a solenoid valve and low pressure regulator. It has a quick exhaust to dump the pressure when the solenoid valve closes. A manual valve would also work fine, but I already had the hardware installed. This arrangement also allows running with no pump in the system by simply pressurizing the tank to 30 PSI or so, but this is not the best idea when using flammable fluids. I mostly use kerosene because I am normally working with aluminum, but this system will work with any cutting fluid/coolant

At about 10% flow. It outputs micro-droplets, not a mist.

At about 40% flow. I have not had fog in the air under any condition I have operated under.

As I said above, this system can be used without the pump by pressurizing the tank to 30 PSI or more. Install a flow control at the Tee to control the fluid rather than using the pump. I think the tank is rated at 120 PSI, but this is a Harbor Freight product If using without the pump, do not use WD-40 as a coolant, it plugs up the flow control.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0611-jpg   No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0613-jpg   No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0614-jpg   No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0615-jpg  

No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0616-jpg   No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0628-jpg   No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0629-jpg   No Fog Mist Coolant-img_0630a-jpg  

No Fog Mist Coolant-screenshot2-jpg   No Fog Mist Coolant-screenshotsmall-jpg  
    Last edited by Jim Dawson; 01-17-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No Fog Mist Coolant

I use a similar, albeit super-simplified gravity fed system. Having a pump I could switch on and off and adjust would be great. Love this build.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's pretty awesome Jim! I have a pump that flows coolant really well, I built a manifold that has 3/4in from the pump and three 1/2in loc line hoses pushing coolant, one that goes to a wash down hose and another that runs coolant thru a 1/4in hose into my air manifold. I made an air manifold for machining things like delrin that don't need coolant, I use a 1/4in loc line for the air. I ran a 1/4in hose to the air manifold and I just pump coolant into my air stream with my existing coolant pump when I want the fog buster effect. Nowhere near as cool add your setup but here's a couple pics. I only have old pics of the coolant setup, I'll take a couple shots of the air/coolant setup If anyone cares.

What kind of software are you using to control your setup?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    That's pretty awesome Jim!

What kind of software are you using to control your setup?

Thank you! Nice work!

That's my own CNC software. That way I can make it work like I want.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim doesn't @#$% around folks. lol

Downloads
    Uploads

That's way ba dass!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    I only have old pics of the coolant setup, I'll take a couple shots of the air/coolant setup If anyone cares.

I would like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    Jim doesn't @#$% around folks. lol

Downloads
    Uploads

So if you're using your own software... I'd be interested to see the machine. I think you've been holding out on us, Jim.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    So if you're using your own software... I'd be interested to see the machine. I think you've been holding out on us, Jim.
    Here ya go

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/member...24622-cnc.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee-v...24874-cnc.html