Extra long router bits

Thread: Extra long router bits

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Extra long router bits

I'm looking for a source for extra long router bits for cutting foam. Need 1/8" and 1/4" dia with 1/4" shanks. Ball nose bits. 3" cutting surface. 4 to 6" overall lengths.

Donny

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.micro100.com/Inch/m100page2.html
    w.american-carbide.com/default.aspx

These sites have long up to 4 inch in the1/4".

Last edited by cncadmin; 02-11-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another is www.endmilldiscount.com
    I just got a three bits from them and they are nice. Price is the best I have found and I am trying to talk them into advertising here on the Zone. Paul if you read this you might contact them as well. Call because the guy always seems to be available.

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry about posting agian but I just clicked on a new advertiser here on the Zone Kodiak and they have pretty good prices.
    Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by turmite
    Sorry about posting agian but I just clicked on a new advertiser here on the Zone Kodiak and they have pretty good prices.
    Mike
    That's great, and thanks for supporting our advertisers!

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

don't know about endmill discount, but I buy endmills from PMT directly and their prices and quality is tough to beat. If EMD is selling PMT's stuff (sorry for the Acronyms) then I think it would be tough to go wrong.

PMT is a smallish (compared to Kennametal, Sandvik, etc) mid west company. Good people with which to deal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another carbide cutter supplier to consider is American Carbide, which also advertises on the CNCZone.

They are very accommodating on answering questions, cutters are USA made and cut smooth, clean and fast, I have been impressed with their prices and service.

http://www.american-carbide.com

Last edited by Ken_Shea; 02-13-2004 at 12:14 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

So far no one on the list has what I need. American Carbide did'nt respond to my questions yesterday. Some of the other companies responded right away.
    Whats PMT's phone number or website. I tried all the sponsers from here no luck.
    Found a company in oregon that came close but at $45 for a 1/4" with a 2 1/2" cutting surface its spendy. and still short. There 1/8" had only a 1 1/2" cutting surface.
    http://www.hartlauer-bits.com/products.html
    So I am still looking. Someone has to have them. How would you do deep carving in foam with one pass and fine detail without them?

Donny

Downloads
    Uploads

How would you do deep carving in foam with one pass and fine detail without them?

It's called "hot Wire cutting"

Donny I do not think you are going to find 6" cutters.

Have you thought about welding up your own out of HSS, build a simple v-notch fixture for holding them center and parallel and silver soldering, clean up the flutes and have at it. There is not going to be any load on these nor would they need to turn 30,0000 rpm, this just might work for you.

In response to American-Carbide not answering you, it is possible they never receive it, or we need to remember they have just 24 hours in a day just like the rest of us.
    They have been very responsive to my inquiries within 24 hours which is acceptable and understandable

Ken

EDIT:
    Just had a thought, my first for the day

Have you tried a extra long drill bit in the size you need ?

Last edited by Ken_Shea; 02-13-2004 at 01:58 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

American Carbide sent me a e-mail back thismorning. I guess there swamped like the rest of us.
    They will have to make them special. So we shalll see at what price. They were my best hope so far.
    I wish I could use a hot knife. But its much to detailed for that at over a million lines of code. To many ups and downs in the middle of the part.

Donny

Downloads
    Uploads

They will have to make them special

Well at least now you have made it over the can't find hurdle, next jump $$$$

Keep us posted.

Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just a thought!

I also cut foam and have used high quality drill bits. Grind the end to create your ballnose and make sure you keep the spindle speed low. This may or may not work for your application.