Newbie Cutting Ball Screws To Length

Thread: Cutting Ball Screws To Length

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting Ball Screws To Length

I need to cut my 5/8 Roton ball screws to length. I have a band saw with bi-metal blade, abrasive disc cut off saw, or lathe. I am pretty sure the band saw will get eaten up by the hardened ball screw. I am concerned about whipping in the lathe. Not sure if heat build up with cut off saw will be an issue? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Scott

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting Ball Screws To Length

I'd use the abrasive disk. Roton ball screws are case-hardened (Ball Screws - Ballscrews and Ballnuts - Roton Products) so while the outsides are pretty hard, the centers are still soft. The heat-affected zone on the end won't make much difference. If you need to reduce the diameter to get it to fit in a bushing, you can remove the outside layer by grinding, and then true it up in a lathe.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried the bandsaw the first time. No luck. Abrasive cutoff is your best bet. If you need to machine the ends for a bearing or threads, you will want to anneal the ends anyway. That kind of heat from cutting won't hurt anything. It's not really hot enough to anneal anything but maybe an 1/8" if that.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I'd use the abrasive disk. Roton ball screws are case-hardened (Ball Screws - Ballscrews and Ballnuts - Roton Products) so while the outsides are pretty hard, the centers are still soft. The heat-affected zone on the end won't make much difference. If you need to reduce the diameter to get it to fit in a bushing, you can remove the outside layer by grinding, and then true it up in a lathe.
    Thanks for the help abrasive disc it is. Grinding it first sounds like an excellent idea will probably save my carbide inserts!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help. I figured the band saw was a no go. I like your idea of annealing the end. I just wasn't sure if the heat would cause some kind of stress relief that would warp the screw. Annealing and then grinding through the thread sounds like a good approach. thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8fulAmerican View Post
    Thanks for the help. I figured the band saw was a no go. I like your idea of annealing the end. I just wasn't sure if the heat would cause some kind of stress relief that would warp the screw. Annealing and then grinding through the thread sounds like a good approach. thanks again!
    No Annealing needed, if you grind through the case which will be around .025 to.030 deep, then machine what you need to do, I machine them as they are, cut them to length with an abrasive disc

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8fulAmerican View Post
    I need to cut my 5/8 Roton ball screws to length. I have a band saw with bi-metal blade, abrasive disc cut off saw, or lathe. I am pretty sure the band saw will get eaten up by the hardened ball screw. I am concerned about whipping in the lathe. Not sure if heat build up with cut off saw will be an issue? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Scott
    Ball Screws are case hardened and can be cut for length via an abrasive saw either using a small power hand held grinder available at HARBOR FREIGHT with a 1/16th blade or a chop saw with an abrasive blade. Machining can be done on your lathe using a rigid setup face the end then center drill ,mounted with a center for support you can turn the OD.You need to use a slow RPM depending on the quality of your lathe a lathe of 14" size should cut well, after you get through the outer surface the inside is softer. You should hold the screw in a four jaw chuck and indicate it to 0000. with a center in the end you should have no problem. Use small pieces of sheet aluminum to prevent damage to the Ball Screw it is a good idea to the tape the nut to prevent dirt from entering. If you need to remove the nut machine a bar to a few thousands less than the minor diameter of the Ball Screw and twice the length of the BALL NUT,screw the nut to the end of the Ball Screw hold the new machined piece against the end of the Ball Screw and slowly rotate the nut off of the Ball Screw. to replace or turn the nut to the opposite direction just reverse the last instructions. Absolutely do not heat up the Ball Screw as you will cause yourself many problems. Very simple job!. Mel White 702-443-4447